Model train newbie-need help! Train not moving as fast as it should or did....

Started by momtogavin, July 07, 2011, 05:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momtogavin

Hi all.  I hope you don't mind my asking our question.  My son received the Bachmann Rail King HO set for his birthday.  We set it up, no problems.  The train ran quite fast at full speed (while pulling the additional cars it came with).  We put the set away and have pulled it out and set it up twice since then. 

Each time since it's initial run, it has not run as fast.  Not only does it not run at it's previous full speed, it can't pull all the cars- if we connect all 4 additional cars, even at full speed it sounds like it's straining the engine and goes at a snail's pace.

Do you have any ideas of what we can trouble shoot?  I've put the track together each time; I know it's securely connected.  We were careful with the engine......I'm just at a loss as to why the sudden HUGE drop in speed and performance.

Thanks for all your help- I'd appreciate any insight!

Jhanecker2

Have you considered the fact that your track & your wheels get dirty?  The locomotives both DC & DCC receive their electrical power from the tracks . If the electrical connection becomes degraded so will the performance. Also the wheels of the cars need to be cleaned on an ongoing basis because they track dirt all over the tracks as well.  If you check some of the other posts on this websight you will find a good number of post on methods of cleaning both track and wheels . Also running trains on the floor on carpets also can introduce fibers in to the mechanical parts.  Good Luck in your search.  J2

Doneldon

mtg-

Your locomotive and even your cars may have picked up some textile fibers, especially if you've been running your trains on the floor. These can wind themselves around your axles increasing the drag on your train. Sometimes it takes more than a quick glance to see such fibers. They can get wound very tightly on loco axles or get up into the drive train. Fibers on rolling stock can migrate to the ends of the axles where you can't see well.
                                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

momtogavin

We DID use it on the carpet the first time.  Is there a good way to clean out the engine in case of any carpet debris?  Would a can of air work?  We only used it the one day before putting it away (we've only had it about 2 weeks) and then upon pulling it out the second time finding it running improperly.

Thanks for your help so far!!

ACY

Running it even once on the carpet can have disastrous effects. You should take the shell off and check for fibers and other debris. Clean the track with a track eraser and clean the locomotive's wheels in addition to the plastic wheels on the cars.

jward

you said the locomotive sounds like it's straining. did you mean  it sounds like the motor is turning full speed but the locomotive is not moving fast? are the wheels moving faster than the train is moving?

if i am not mistaken, the rail king set included a gp40 and 4 cars. the gp40 (i have 5 of them) should be able to pull 15-20 cars easily on level track. something is definitely wrong here.

did your set come with ez track? if so, carpet fibres probably have little if anything to do with your problem. on track without roadbed, carpet fibers can work their way up through the track and get pulled into the axles. with roadbed type track such as ez track there is a solid base under the track which would prevent this.

another possibility: the gp40 is supposed to have all wheels gear driven. if one set is somehow disconnected from the motor, it will either be locked up, and slide along the track while the other set of wheels tries to drag its dead weight along, or it will free wheel. in the former case, look for one of the universal shafts from the motor to the trucks to be disconnected, reconnecting it will solve the problem. in the latter case, either the worm gear has worked its way clear of the gears on one of the trucks, or you have a stripped or damaged gear in the truck itself. note that all of the above situations will require that you disassemble the locomotive to take care of the problem. if you are uncomfortable with doing this, contact bachmann service for advice.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Quote from: jward on July 07, 2011, 09:29:50 PM
did your set come with ez track? if so, carpet fibres probably have little if anything to do with your problem. on track without roadbed, carpet fibers can work their way up through the track and get pulled into the axles. with roadbed type track such as ez track there is a solid base under the track which would prevent this.
I disagree with this I have seen locomotives run on E-Z track set up on carpet that have gotten fibers and debris.

Doneldon

ACY-

I'm with you on the carpet fiber issue. (Surprised?) I concede that roadbed track slows down the accumulation of fibers but I have seen fiber build up with roadbed track so I know it doesn't prevent the problem completely. Static electricity contributes to the problem and it can easily overcome the slight track elevation.

mtg-

Canned air probably will not take care of the fiber build up because the fibers get tightly wrapped around the axles, drive shafts and gears. I find a tweezers can get hold of the fibers and pull them out. Sometimes you need a needle to get under especially thin and/or tightly wound fibers.
                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

momtogavin

Okay.  I'm going to do some train surgery and will report back.  It did come with the EZ track set. 

But, like someone else mentioned, it does seem like only the back wheels are "powered".....does that makes sense?  I don't know if the engine is supposed to be like that or not.

jward

if the set was made within the past few years all wheels should be powered.  and if by chance you have one of the older locomotives with only the front truck powered, the rear truck should be free rolling. in no case should the locomotive be dragging locked wheels around the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

djp

The drive shaft from the motor to the front wheels has probably worked itself loose. i have had this problem before.
Get Off My Train !!!

NarrowMinded

It sounds to me like this set is well within warranty, take it back to the store where you bought it and exchange it if possible, the advice on the cause of problem and fixes are good here but if your new to this though simple, I would not take it apart.

You may try a local Model railroad club also, most would be happy to help a New RAilroader

NM-Jeff