Looking for a specific piece of rolling stock

Started by lanny, July 02, 2007, 01:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi all,

I got 'bit' by the 'excursion train bug' after seeing #844. Since my dear son is 'financing' a model of the excursion train I am on the lookout for some suitable rolling stock. I have the locomotive (#844)  'on the way'.

I remember building a wood (Ambroid or Quality Craft) model of the UP sixty foot express box car. Any advice on finding this kit or styrene kit/model of that care would be much appreciated.

Also, my double track mainline layout has tracks so close that full 80 ft streamline cars, even on 30" radius curves are too close to each other (poor track planning on my part!). I know Walthers has really nice cars, but I think the smooth side streamliners would be too long for tains to pass on my double track curves.

IHC has 70' foot smooth side models of the UP cars. How close is the 'IHC dome' (especially the 'dome' car), 'coach' and 'baggage'  to the 'real thing'? I have IHC smooth side ICRR Panama limited cars and they are 'acceptable' for my modeling.

And finally, where does one begin to look for the tender with buckeye trucks, painted UP colors, that is coupled behind the big centipede #844 tender? Is such a thing available?

thanks!!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

SteamGene

Lanny,
You could get an Athearn 60' baggage car.  That should be close enough.  How close are tour tracks in your turns? 
Remember that excursion trains tend to vary from excursion to excursion.  About the only car that would be a constant would be whatever tool/generator car(s) which stay with the locomotive.  At least in the east, many of the cars are owned by a specific railroad historical society chapter which lends/rents for the excursion.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lanny

Hi Gene,

I have 32"-36" radius curves (one or two places they drop to 30"). However I built them 2" on center so trains run unprototypically close on the curves. I don't think the Walthers 85' cars, though exact scale, will handle a 'meet' on my curves with a train on the other mainline.

I'll check Athearn. They must be 'smooth side' cars.

thanks.

lanny nicolet

wjstix

I know at least at one time (in the last year or two) MDC's 60' Harriman cars were available pre-decorated in the SP Daylight paintscheme. They should work on your track. They don't have interiors, but the roofs come off easily so you can add your own.

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

I have 36" and 38" curves layed on 2" centers and have no problem with 85" cars. I don't usually run 85" cars, but I have a few and they do clear, check it out if you can borrow something from someone.

Also, smooth side 70' cars are available from ConCor, I think they may still be available in UP colors. They are freelanced of course, and they need weight and better coupler mounting, but with a little work they make a nice train and their compessed length looks better in my mind on the curves we run.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

I just checked the ConCor web site, they are still listed - www.con-cor.com

Sheldon

SteamGene

For our 25th anniversary, my wife bought me the Con-Cor C&O streamlined passenger sets - 8 cars.  I always enjoy running them.  Couplers are body mounted and I've weighted them.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

lanny

Thanks Sheldon,

I will call them tomorrow to make sure the UP smooth sides I need are still in stock.

I would perfer Con Cor if I can get them.

thanks again,

lanny nicolet

Atlantic Central

Gene,

I have a nine car train of them in C&O myself, pulled by two Proto E8's.

I body mounted the couplers,added weight, changed the trucks to MDC's GSC (not available at present) w/ Intermountain wheels and I cut off the molded on diaphgrams and intalled American Limited working ones, positioning the couplers accordingly so they touch all the time. And, I added passengers to the vista dome.

I like to think of the train as what the GW would have been if the lofty plans of the great post war passenger car order had come to fruition. Ah yes, the joys of freelancing.

Sheldon

SteamGene

My IHC C&O actually has ten "passenger" cars, as I added two more Pullmans, plus an express box car and an REA reefer, pulled by a J-2.  It looks impressive.  I painted the dome section a more realistic color and added passengers, too.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat