News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track wiring

Started by jsdranger, July 14, 2011, 10:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsdranger

I want to know the best method for wiring track.  My current layout has 2 loops, inner and outer.  the inner loop turns over itself as you can see from the link below and the outer loop is plain and just goes around the outside portion of the table.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee363/jsdranger/1970.jpg

My question here is, how can i distribute the power across the track?  Can i solder CAT5 wire to the track in 3-4 foot sections so the power is passed from one section to another?  is there different type of wire i should use instead?  to get power to the inside track, (E-Z track by Bachmann) i understand as long as the loops are connected somehow power is getting to it, but would it be a good idea to have 2 rerailers with power connection in the same location and run a wire between those 2 pieces of track to get more power to the inside loop?

what is the best method for wiring track only to distribute power throughout the track more efficiently?  right now i just have the power connected to a rerailer and that is it

And with wiring the track, when i go to DCC will that effect anything in regards to the DCC Locos and how they operate?

Thanks

jward

traditional wiring for dc trains would be to divide each of your loops into at least 3 sections, or blocks, with insulating joiners on one rail. the other rail would be a common return and would be uninsulated throughout your layout. each block is wired to a switch which can turn off power to that block, or connect it to either of two poer packs, a good item to use for this is the atlas selector, which is a bank of 4 slide switches that can wire up to 4 blocks.
block control wiring allows you to run any train anywhere on the layout, while having other trains isolated so they can't run.

dcc wiring is handled a little differently. many people wire their dcc layouts with a pair of bus wires, and tap off the bus for track power feeders every few feet.

you can wire a layout for dc now, and convert to dcc later by replacing the power pack with a dcc command station wired to the block selectors. this is the configuration i use.

dcc wiring requires larger wire sizes to ensure the dcc signal is clearly read by the decoder, and that the circuit breakers trip if the system is shorted out. where you might use 24 guage telephone wire for a dc layout, i'd wire for dc with at least 18 guage wire. i would not use cat5 cable for either application.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jsdranger

Jward,
thanks for this information.  As i am a bit dumb when it comes to wiring, i was looking for the easiest way to wire up the track. 

you make mention  "tap off the bus for track power feeders every few feet"  I am not sure what this means.  Are you refering to the piece of track the power pack connects to now?  and if so, how do i run the first set of "bus wires" from this track to the next section or "block" of track.

Ideally i would like to wire this for DCC right off the bat.  Do you have a link or something i can look at that would help me understand "track wiring for dummies"  I know how to solder, and can easily run the wiring under the attached roadbed of the E-Z track i am using so that is not the issue for me.  just understanding the wiring will be my issue

thanks for all the help

Jerrys HO

jsd
  Jward gave me some good advice not long ago and that was to purchase the basic wiring book by atlas. There also was another book for basic dcc wiring. I picked up both at my local hobby shop and it helped me understand alot.
  It sounds like you do not run any loco's yet, so if my assumption is correct I  would strongly suggest setting up for dcc now would be a good idea. The entry level ( hopefully I phrased that correctly) engines available in dcc or quite inexpensive.
  Nice layout you have started there.
Jerry

jsdranger

Jerry,

I have actually run DC locos across this set up, Thanks by the way its my first attempt, and am hoping to make a quick conversion on this set up so i can ensure power is passed all the way around these loops.  But the DCC trains seem much more enjoyable so i am making the conversion as soon as possible, and when i find a train and controller i like.

I will check my local train store for that book by atlas.

I see the DCC locos on the entry level side are inexpensive but they dont offer the sound i would like for that realistic effect.

Thanks for the info

jward

basically what you'd want to do for dcc is to run a bus wire which would be a two conductor cable that follows the track. you could also use two individual conductors of diffetent colours for the bus, for example red and white. you'd connect the white bus to say the inner rail of your loops of track every 3-6 feet. and connect the red wire to the outer rails. the important thing is to make sure that each rail is ONLY connected to one bus wire. the connection is done via feeders, short sections of wire soldered to the bus at one end and the rail at the other. the multiple feeder wires provide alternate paths for the electricity should you have a bad connection somewhere.

on a small layout such as yours you may be able to get away with 2 or 3 feeders, but in general more feeders are better, within reason.

the rule of thumb i go by is to use at least 18 guage wire for the busses, and 18 guage or smaller for the feeders, which should be under a foot in length,

the books jerry mentioned are great references. adapt their diagrams to your situation, and follow them and you should have no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jsdranger

Awesome info, now i understand about the bus and feeders.  also checked out some videos on youtube for wiring which helps me understand about the bus wire running along each rail.  

so where i have my tracks crossing from outer to inner and inner to outer loops, should i put a gap in the track that is joined by a plastic rail joiner so the tracks are seperated or because my track is small still i dont have to do anything on those cross overs?

where is the initial bus wire connection made to the track if at all?  Or is that bus wire just run next to the track, and does this bus wire attach to the track anywhere or is it just laying next to the track for the feeder wires to connect to once they are connected to the track?

Can i use electrical wire for this bus wire?  in the 18 gauge?

jward

if you are running dcc you shouldn't have to insulate one loop from the other. in dcc the only tracks that absolutely HAVE to be insulated are reversing sections where w train can turn around and travel the same track in the opposite direction. the layout you've shown doesn't have those.

the bus wires are usually routed under the table, with the feeders routed up through holes drilled in the table. routing the bus wires under the table out of sight keeps your tabletop neater. i usually route the bus wires through holes drilled in the table joists to keep them from snagging underneath.

it doesn't matter where you make the first feeder wire connection. all the feeder wires are parallel circuits anyway. the bus wire and the rail it is attatched to with feeders are electrically the same. in theory, all voltage dropped in a dcc setup should be either in the motor or decoder. there should be minimal voltage losses (like almost immeasurable) in the bus wire and rails.

it really sounds more complicated than it is.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA