News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Extra weight added to 2-10-0 tender

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, July 02, 2007, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GN.2-6-8-0

I was was a bit concerned when hearing about the front tender trucks derailing because of the wiring harness causing the front truck to lift.
On opening the USRA style tender on my DCC/Tsunami Sound equipted Decapod I found that with the tender floor crowded with speaker and decoder there was not really room near the front  to install any weight,only spot was two small areas in either front corner,problem there was the tender shell would not seat properly if the 2 1/4 oz. stick on weights i wish to use were place there.
But on exploring the inside of the shell a bit find there is a even better 'imho' spot.
In the center of the tender shell there's a slight step down between the water tank and coal bunker,you can place one 1/4oz  in each corner
placing the weights also allows the wires for the back up light to fit nicely between them. the weights might be a bit high in the tender body but being centered distributes the weight over both trucks and still should solve the front truck derailing problem' mine tracked well with no sign of problems.

Rocky Lives

Isambard

I modified two 2-10-0's the same way after an hour or two of trying different ways of squeezing in stick-on weights. It was only when I came to a third new Russian that I found I could readily stick weights under the moulded coal load. The moulded coal load is held in place by a small screw inside the tender. I hadn't considered that possibility with the first two loco's since I had solidly glued plastic granule coal loads on top of their moulded loads.