IHC Passenger Cars question on upgrades-wheels/cplr

Started by timhar47, July 16, 2011, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timhar47

Being that I do CB&Q, not too many Passenger cars in the lower price range are around. I did get a 3 car set on EBAY, new cars, but the trucks are really garbage. Has anyone every upgraded the wheelsets or the whole trucks, and if so any reccomendations?
One of the cars wobbles like a duck! And they all have problems passing through the Atlas 60 degree crossings (2 in a row) that I have.

Thanks

Tim

ACY

Adding more weight to the cars and metal wheels will greatly improve their tracking.

timhar47

Forgot to word it to ask if anyone knew what product they might have used for the IHC passenger cars

Doneldon

tim-

The IHC plastic passenger cars looked pretty good but you are right about the trucks. I'd probably go farther than ACY and totally replace the trucks but only you can decide how much money to invest. Do metal wheelsets at a minimum and add some weight and I think you'll be in much better shape. It might pay to inspect the truck bolsters and make sure they are level. Then carefully tighten the truck screws to the point that one swivels easily but doesn't rock but the other rocks a little. You might want to consider dummy couplers as we don't often uncouple or switch passenger consists and the dummies will take any coupler problems away. Good luck.
                                                                              -- D

r0bert

If you want to spend the $$$, and can find them, you can replace the trucks with the IHC #4241 Super Free Rolling Passenger Car Trucks & #4242 adapters.
These will really the best trucks out there, and hopefully another company will aquire them and bring them back into production.

metrohobbies

Try Palace Car Company interiors with weights and Adair Shops coupler conversions to eliminate talgo couplers. Also metal wheels should help. All three are available from www.metrohobbies.goods.officelive.com