News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC transformer for HO scale

Started by quark51, August 11, 2011, 09:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark51

I have a MRC Tech II 2500 transformer and it gets warm after less than 15 minutes of running my trains, and the power light also does not light up. I am wondering if the transformer is wearing out.

richg

Does the light bulb come on when not running anythin? Nothing connected to the screws on the back of the pack.
How many trains are you running?
Are you powering anything else with this pack?
We need more info.

Rich

Doneldon

quark-

What do you mean by "warm?" Electricity is relatively innefficient for things like lights and motors because it serves up as a by-product, lots of heat. My power packs and transformers always get warm when I use them. That's normal. My questions for you are, does your power pack become uncomfortable to touch, does it blow breakers or fuses in your system, are you observing operational problems when your pack heats up? I'm not trying to be confrontational here, though I recognize it might seem like I am. I'm just trying to ask the questions which will give those who try to help you what they need to know to do so.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

quark51

I am running two trains and there are no accessories being powered by the transformer and when I turn the transformer on the lighht for power does not come on but when I move the dial the trains start to run. It does not blow fuses or breakers and no problems other than it gets warm. The transformer is about 25 years old.

Jim Banner

The light on your power pack would not come on until the speed control is turned up.  If it does not come on, even with the track wires disconnected from the back of your Tech II power pack, even when the speed control is turned up, but your power pack can still run your trains, then the bulb is burned out.  Running two trains, particularly if they have older locomotives, will warm the power pack up somewhat.  If it gets too hot, the built in circuit breaker will shut off the power.

Just a little clarification:  A transformer is a device to change an ac voltage to a lower or higher ac voltage.

A power pack contains a transformer to decrease 120 volts coming from an outlet down to about 16 volts.  If also contains rectifiers to change the ac into dc, a transistor to control how much voltage is fed to the track, and a potentiometer with a knob on it to control the transistor.  In case something goes wrong, it also contains a self resetting circuit breaker.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

That will have a 12 volt light bulb.
I believe those power packs have security screws. You need a special "screwdriver" type tool to remove the screws. You can find the tool on line. There is a special name for this type security screw as there are a few different type security screws.
IF you ever do this, make sure the plug is not in the wall socket. Don't laugh. More than one person has opened an electrical device with it still plugged in.
Good chance the Shack will have the light bulbs.
It has been a long time since I have opened one of these.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: quark51 on August 11, 2011, 11:52:33 PM
I am running two trains and there are no accessories being powered by the transformer and when I turn the transformer on the lighht for power does not come on but when I move the dial the trains start to run. It does not blow fuses or breakers and no problems other than it gets warm. The transformer is about 25 years old.

Replace it. I did that a couple of years ago and I was astonished at how much better even some of the "vintage" (1960s) engines in my collection ran with the new power pack.

That experience taught me an important, if obvious lesson: No point in buying good locomotives if you don't have a good power source to run them.