News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track piece explanation

Started by jsdranger, August 11, 2011, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsdranger

Atlas has a custom turnout "Atlas #562 #4 Custom-Line Turnout Code 83 HO",  what does this mean, a custom line turnout. 

I get that it allows you to turn a train onto a new track, but wat is custom about it?

Thanks

r0bert

it has a isolated metal frog that can be energized to proper polarity for the point setting, using Atlas snap relay or other switching system.
the standard snap switch line turnouts have a plastic frog.

Thomas1911

Also, the custom-line turnouts have a diverging route that is straight after the frog, whereas the snap switches have a diverging route that is a constant radius making them compatible with sectional track.  I use the custom-line turnouts on my layout.

jsdranger

r0bert, i am not really sure that i understand what you are talking about when you mention the polarity and point setting.  that may be a bit over my head in terms of language.  can you simplify that for me, make it into train talk for dummies please.  Thank you

Thomas, thanks for the info. i am looking at the custom turnouts as well, so long as they have the mechanism already attached to make them remote turnouts.  dont want manual turnouts at all based on the fact alone that many of my turnouts are not going to be easily reached once my new layout is conrstucted

thanks for the info everyone

richg

I have forgot how many years ago the Atlas came up with the Custom version.
If you consider DCC, you will want turnouts with live frogs. Even if I was making a DC only layout, I would never use turnouts with plastic frogs.
You probably know already, pay extra attention to the turnouts that will be difficult to get to.

Rich

Thomas1911

They do not come with mechanism.  You'll have to purchase them separately.  Only things in the package is the turnout itself and some rail joiners.

richg

http://www.tandkhobby.com/product-p/0562.htm

Use the Tortoise for nice slow motion operation. Run the Tortoise at 9 vdc rather than 12 vdc.
The Tortoise has two sets of contacts. One for power routing and another for signals.

Operation of the turnout will be another thread for discussion if this is new to you. There are different types on electrical machines for this.

If you go with twin coil machines, there is a possibility of coil burn out if a switch sticks or the button is held down to long.
Try to use a reliable machine in difficult places to get to.

The below machine is suppose to be pretty good.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/BullFrog-Manual-Turnout-Control-Unassembled-p/bf-0002.htm

Rich

r0bert

Quote from: jsdranger on August 12, 2011, 09:10:19 AM
r0bert, i am not really sure that i understand what you are talking about when you mention the polarity and point setting.  that may be a bit over my head in terms of language.  can you simplify that for me, make it into train talk for dummies please.  Thank you

As a reference for disscussion lets make the left rail + (pos), the right rail - (neg)
and the left route the thru (straight) route, and the right route the diverging (curved) route.
The points are the two blade like moving sections which direct the train over one route or the other.
A polarized metal frog has the polarity change to match the route that the train will follow to provide uninterupted power to the loco as it passed thru the turnout.
Using the reference example,
with the turnout points set to route the train over the thru route of the turnout, the right point is touching the right rail, and the left point is off the rail.
As the loco crosses the turnout, the right side wheels are passing from the right side rails, via the points, over the frog, and back to the right rail, and with the polarized frog,
it,  like the right rail is (-).
The same is true when the points are set for the diverging route, left point against left (+)
rail, and the frog also has (+) power,
The frog polarity is controlled by some sort of relay or switch, and changes with the setting of the points to match.
The Atlas custom line frog is also electricly isolated from the other rails, so no extra insulators are required, and if you choose not to power the frog, acts the same as the insulated plastic frog on the snap switch models.