News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Return of the Originals!

Started by TheJJ, August 11, 2011, 05:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJJ

Return of the Originals!

Look above! Do you recognize those faces? Older and experienced fans might. These are a few of the originals who don't the deserved amount of screen time...others would be...BoCo, Derek, Daisy, and the narrow gauge engines...yet the list goes on!
I know most of us feel that these engines deserve more screen time! Thomas share screen time! Shouldn't that be a lesson to the kids? SHARING! Anyway this thread is to discuss the "never ending", "never on screen enough engines"! So lets start the discussion with #8! (Duck) Anyone care to share their point of views or opinions on this issue?

PasqualeCS96

Yah I'll say something, eversince Emily joined you never saw these characters again until a few cameos in season 12. Emily is to be blamed for this along with Spencer and other characters revealed after season 8. Rest in Peace Seasons 1-7.

therailwayinspector

I don't think Emily is to blame - a core female character was really needed to battle any comments of sexism, which I can completely agree with. It's more the writers of the series, and a matter of money - new characters = merchandise = profits, and by having old characters in, they can't make profits. That said, the company has got a negative reputation over this by doing so.

I reckon there must be a way for the Awdry's to threaten HiT (or whoever will end up owning Thomas in the future) - Perhaps in the contract? The TV Producers are agreed to use the characters and stories of the books written by Wilbert And Christopher - could that be a loophole- the "characters" created are no longer present (cheeky Thomas, reliable, confident edward, boastful but sensible gordon etc are now all exactly the same - dumb and never learn any lessons etc.)

Ramble over....

I'd love to see Duke return for the narrow gauge, and in addition to those engines listed at top, Stepney and the road veichles get more screen time.
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

PasqualeCS96

That's actually a really good point but is there a contract?

BillingsRR

Quote from: PasqualeCS96 on August 11, 2011, 09:36:46 PM
That's actually a really good point but is there a contract?

Of course! There is a contract for everything :P

therailwayinspector

You wouold assume there is a contract of some sorts - otherwise Awdry can just sue HiT for using his characters!
Steam, Diesel? It's All The Same.
Creator Of Thomas The Model Adventures

MetaDude27

Quote from: therailwayinspector on August 11, 2011, 07:54:42 PM
The "characters" created are no longer present (cheeky Thomas, reliable, confident edward, boastful but sensible gordon etc are now all exactly the same - dumb and never learn any lessons etc.)

I've noticed that, too! Each engine's unique personality was what made each story so entertaining (it's also what made the four Little Westerns so popular with the older fans). Now that each character's individuality has been taken away, the show isn't worth watching anymore.

PasqualeCS96

I never knew D&D were Great Western. :o ???

MetaDude27

They're not. I just collectively refer to those four characters as the little westerns (as opposed to writing out all their names), since they all work on the Little Western Railway (a.k.a. Duck's Branch-line). Sorry for any confusion. ;)

PasqualeCS96

In the never ending story someone said they were Great Western and I have been wondering ever since, I didnt say anything because it would interupt the thread.

grandpuff

I would also like to see more of All of the Narrow Gauge Engines especially Duke or
Grandpuff which is my personal favorite. I agree that new characters do create more marketing opportunities, but they should not forget the characters that started it all and make the new characters possible.

I also prefer the old live action models over the new digital video renditions, however going digital should make it even easier to do any of the older characters including the Narrow Gauge engines.

I would also love to see Duke or AKA Grandpuff done by Bachmann as a powered HO locomotive, and so would my Grand Kids. They just love it when they are able to run my Thomas engines on my scale HO layout. I can wish can't I ?

Grandpuff (Grandpa to my Grand Kids)
Grandpuff

Calebtrain

I also like Duke. He was my favorite character on the narrow gauge railroad.  :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

TheJJ

Quote from: grandpuff on August 14, 2011, 01:00:58 AM
I would also like to see more of All of the Narrow Gauge Engines especially Duke or
Grandpuff which is my personal favorite. I agree that new characters do create more marketing opportunities, but they should not forget the characters that started it all and make the new characters possible.

I also prefer the old live action models over the new digital video renditions, however going digital should make it even easier to do any of the older characters including the Narrow Gauge engines.

I would also love to see Duke or AKA Grandpuff done by Bachmann as a powered HO locomotive, and so would my Grand Kids. They just love it when they are able to run my Thomas engines on my scale HO layout. I can wish can't I ?

Grandpuff (Grandpa to my Grand Kids)
Anyone and everyone can make a wish... ;)

Cupix the Azelf

Guys, why the ranting about seasons 8 to present? I didn't mind the changes they made, the only thing I can criticize about right now is when they repeat the same certain sentence from an episode over and over about 3-4 times per episode.
I do sometimes wish Britt Allcroft returned to producing the series, then maybe we can experience some nostalgia at least. :P
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.