News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting an empire builder set

Started by Brentski, August 15, 2011, 10:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brentski

I have an Empire builder set in bound from an online retailer, and have some questions.
As a little background:
I have never run model trains before - I am pursuing the hobby because of my two young sons, and some related interest on the part of the grandparents. We have long range plans to convert my basement space to a larger layout based on the Central Vermont lines focused on the Bellows Falls junction. My Father in law has done trains for a long time but doesn't have space to do a layout. I am getting the Empire Builder set as something to play with until a more comprehensive track plan can come together.

So here are my questions:

Do the easy track sections come apart easily, or are they pretty much staying together after they are snapped together?

Are There other layout plans that can be made with the track in the package besides the basic oval listed on the back of the package? Are there websites that I could be directed to that give plans, or part of this forum?

My father in law has some Central Vermont locos made by Atlas, and decoder equipped. Should I expect these locos to run on the easy track, with the supplied power pack?
Any other tips and suggestions will be appreciated!

ACY

You can't make anything other than an oval with the track provided.
The track sections come apart pretty easily, they are occasionally difficult to put together.
If the locomotives have single mode decoders then you will need a DCC system to run them, if they are dual mode then a DC power source is fine, but they will run better with a DCC system.

r0bert

Welcome to trains!
We all started with a circle of track on the floor or dining room table, and grew from there.
While with the included track, you are limited to circle/oval/squared circle track setup, Bachmann has a variety of track sections you can add to make almost any trackplan you desire.
EZ track, as the name implies, is easy to assemble and disassemble, and will stay solidly locked together during use. A bit of care need be taken when assembling the track to ensure the rail joiners connect properly and is explained in the setup instructions.
Atlas DCC equipped locomotives have dual mode decoders that will operate on either DC or DCC powered layouts.
They do, however, have an option to turn DC operation off, but unless that has been done, they will operate just fine on your new layout empire.

Brentski

Oh I forgot the most important question - I've seen some Thomas The Tank Engine in  N scale - from a japanese company(Tomix???) Will these cars be compatible? I'm assuming any cars will run on the track, but you never know!