News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anyone know where I can get Mantua info?

Started by BlueFox, August 20, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueFox

I bought for practialy nothing a Mantua 0-6-0 diecast loco off E-bay for parts and after inspection was able to get it running again.  After repaining the broken brush holder with Locktite's Sumo glue then cleaning and lubeing the little loco runs pretty darn good.  It has lots of weight for its size and pulls over 20+ cars without spinning its wheels.  It's a pretty nice looking little loco and was taken care of.  The person I bought it from said his late father was an avid model railroader and had an extensive collection and layout.

After I found a site that lists all of Mantua's catalogs from 1978 - 2001 I did learn it was called a Bix Six and the photos show the model I have but every catalog lists it as having lights both front and back.  Mine never had any, just pockets for jewels.
Anyone have any info as to what I have?

BlueFox

Thanks, Hunt. :)  I sent an email to Yardbird to see of their D8120 motor replacement motor kit will work in this loco.  I hope it will as I would like to be able to make this very vintage (early 60's) loco into a DCC equipped w/lights engine.

For a few dollars this has turned out to be a fun project.  If things turn out right it will be fun to see an old loco running around the yard with all my new era Bachmann diesles.  I might even buy some excursion cars to go along with it, who knows? ;D

jward

try this site for vintage mantua. maybe you'll find your exact locomotive.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/mantuaresource/

note that tyco was a related company, so older offerings may be listed under tyco. this site catalogs tyco from the 1960s, not the cheap, low quality stuff from the 1970s and 1980s.

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrainsredboxeracollectorsresource/
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Nathan Jahreis

I have my dads old Mantua catalog. I think it is before 1978, it is blue striped with white lettering in a red box.  I cant find a copyright date on it :).  I wanted to post a picture, but photobucket is giving me the runaround.  Yes the "big six" is in there,  Mantua was all kits and Tyco were buildups.  For the "Kit" of the big six, it cost $13.95.  The reason it is so heavy, IT IS ALL DIE-CAST! (Zamac)  Boiler, cab, steam chest, frame, tender, all die cast.  Well that's what it looks like in the picture in the catalog.  Mantua also made a "Little six" which is a 0-6-0T.
Listen birds - These signs cost - Money - So roost a while - But don't get funny - Burma-Shave

BlueFox

Thanks jward;

The first URL I had already found but the second one I hadn't found yet.  So far all the info I've been able to discover is that this little loco was made sometime in the 60's, can't nail down the exact year, tho.  It never had lights, only jewels, just the later years, 1978 - 2001, had front and rear lights.

As my earlier post says I'm checking into Yardbird and see if their motor replacement kit D8120 will work in this little engine.  The original motor has a dead spot and won't start on its own if it stops in that position without me giving it a little "nuge".  I also plan on adding DCC and lights if the motor replacement works out.

Frank

Johnson Bar Jeff

Good luck with your project. I'm partial to those old Mantua/Tyco locomotives myself. I've gotten a couple of the 0-4-0T engines from the early '60s to run like new. With all that solid metal weight on the drivers, they can pull practically anything!  :)

RAM

Back in either 1945 or 46, i saw an ad in railroad magazine for a Mantua catalog.  I sent off for it.  a lot of the things in the catalog they did not have because of WW2.  Back in the 1930s they made a brass 4-4-2.  They never did offer it after the war.  The did have three locomotives. a 0-4-0CB, a 4-4-0 Bell of the eighties, and the 8 ball which was a 2-6-0.  I did end of with the 2-6-0.  The first thing that I ordered was a DL&W ref.  I still have that car.

CNE Runner

Bluefox - The following website may be of interest to you in your Mantua project. I have used their repair/restoration services and was very satisfied with the results.
Somewhere, in all my model railroad junk reference material I have a couple of early 1950s Mantua catalogs...I can't seem to find them as of yet.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

NMWTRR

Question for the group.

I have one of these older 0 6 0 Big Six locomotives and have condsidered converting it to DCC.

I am tempted to use the old motor as it still works well but isolating it from the frame seems like it will be very difficult.

The screw holding the motor in place makes a good electrical path from loco frame to motor frame.

I have some ideas to try an isolate with a non conductive washer under the head of the screw and tape under the motor but not sure how well that will stay in place?

Any suggestions or is the best method use the Yard bird motor?

Thanks and hope this helps BlueFox getting  his 0 6 0 running better.

jonathan

The nice things about the yardbird motors are:

They are a perfect fit as a replacement for the old motors;

They are already isolated so the mounting screw is no longer the power transfer to the motor.

Here is a Mantua Mikado I re motored:

I drilled a small hole in the frame and soldered a pickup wire to it.  This connects to the motor, OR... from the frame to the decoder to the motor.  Easy Peasy...

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

nmwtrr,

i ran into a si,i;ar situation with an atlas s4 where the screw holdong the motor to the frame was also an electrical connection. we taped the bottom of the motor and used a plastic screw in place of the metal one.

kadee sells these in various sizes. your hobby shop might have them in stock.

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/screws.htm
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA