A Little Kitbashing on my Connies and Mountains

Started by jonathan, August 22, 2011, 04:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Here's a couple of things I'm working on to get my equipment closer to my chosen modeling prototype (B&O).

I finally got around to moving the boiler check valves to a Nathan Top Feed Double Check Valve.  I did this to each of my Mountains.  Talk about a hard detail part to find:

Still working on the color match from where I cut away the old check valves.  I'll get there eventually.

Also,  I don't know about anyone else, but the coffee-can-looking doohickies that hang off under the cab on the Consolidations have always bothered me:

There may be a B&M prototype out there somewhere, but the B&O sure didn't do it that way.  I cut them away and put in a pair of Nathan non-lifting Injectors:

Just tried it on one of my Consolidations.  I'm sure I'll get around to this mod on the other two as well.

If fact, the only thing left to do is to move the domes forward and add top feed check valves to these Connies:

Haven't gotten brave enough to try hacking away at domes, yet.  Perhaps I'll get a shell from the parts department one day and experiment.  I really want to try.  Just working up the nerve.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Nice work, Jonathan.........and excellent pictures too.

Sid

jonathan

rogertra

Nice job.

I wouldn't worry about colour matching where you replaced the top feeds, a little weathering takes care of that.

I would suggest that you paint the wires between tender and engine black.

As for the dome and sandbox on the Connie.  I think they may be glued on but I'm not sure.  If they're glued, I think Bachmann use a form of AC glue so a little AC releasing agent may work.  Unfortunately, all my railway equipment is packed away at the moment so I can't check for myself.

Once again, nice job and something I will be copying once I get the new GER up and running.

jonathan

Thanks, Roger, good advice.  I've painted those wires before.  The original paint flaked off.  My paint attempts have either flaked or worn off.  So I gave up.  What kind of paint will stay stuck to the wires?

If those domes are glued on, the change would be easy.  My fear is they are molded on.  One of these days (probably the near future) I am going to give it a shot.

Regards,

Jonathan

Pacific Northern

Jonathan, what type of paint did you find to most closely match the factory Bachmann black engine paint?
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on August 22, 2011, 07:20:12 PM
Thanks, Roger, good advice.  I've painted those wires before.  The original paint flaked off.  My paint attempts have either flaked or worn off.  So I gave up.  What kind of paint will stay stuck to the wires?

If those domes are glued on, the change would be easy.  My fear is they are molded on.  One of these days (probably the near future) I am going to give it a shot.

Regards,

Jonathan

You'll need to remove the boiler to check if the domes are cast or glued.  I honestly can't recall.

Painting the wires, I tend to use the paint that the wireless control car and flying aircraft people use as it's designed for a body that flexes.

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 22, 2011, 08:38:53 PM
Jonathan, what type of paint did you find to most closely match the factory Bachmann black engine paint?

You don't need to match the engine black, just get close enough and then apply a light or heavy coat of weathering.  Then you can't tell the difference and or it no longer matters.

BillD53A

If I remember, the domes on the consolidation are glued on , and there are holes in the bouler underneath.