News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with sound of Summit Pass

Started by fufspeed, August 24, 2011, 08:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fufspeed

I bought recently a train for the birthday of my wife, but when i tested it didn't sound. It move and also the light turns on, but no sound. I checked the wires and probed different position but no results. Changed the battery but nothing happend... Can anybody help me? how can i fix the problem?... I am from Chile so the biggest problem is i can't send it to USA for the warranty, because it is very expensive.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi!  fufspeed,

Start by pushing the switch on the rear of the locomotive to the down position.  It is the red one

Then make sure the round volume switch on the bottom of the tender is turned on full.  It is also an on off switch.  Turn it full counter clockwise and you should feel it click to the off position, then turn it fully clockwise to have it full on.
Be ABSOLUTELY sure you have installed the 9 volt battery the correct way.  you should see a plus & minus symbol on the battery hatch cover.  Sound will not work if the battery is not installed properly.    Be sure you have a good new 9 volt battery.   I have seen cases where even new batteries were defective in some way.

Just in case you do not have the instructions for the sound here they are:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/L.S_L.S.Instructions.pdf    Look at the pictures on page 12

Hope this helps and you enjoy your new train.  Let us know if you get it working.

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

fufspeed

i have done all... but no sound.
Perhaps i can test if the amplifier is working or if the locomotive is working properly?

Loco Bill Canelos

There is no bell or whistle or steam hiss, only the chuff chuff sound.  The locomotive must be moving to get the chuff chuff sound.   Does your locomotive move in both directions.  The locomotive has a chuff sensor on the rear set of drivers, if it is not making contact there will be no sound.   There is a wire from the tender with a plug marked sound and a second wire marked lights if your tender is equipped with a backup light.  Be sure that the sound plug is firmly inserted in the correct socket on the locomotive.  You can test the sound by using a small jumper wire to short the sound plug. When doing this you should get a chuff each time you short the plug.  If you get the chuff this way but not when it is plugged into the locomotive then the problem is with the chuff sensor.

This is the limit of my expertise and if it does not help, I am sorry but I do not know how to test the sound unit further other than to remove the tender shell and check all the internal wiring.

If this is a brand new set bought from a dealer and nothing works, I would take it back to the dealer for an exchange or refund of your money.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

fufspeed

Thanks.
I will try and then i get back to you.