Spectrum 0-6-0 Saddle Tank not clearing Kadee U/Couplers

Started by Sunshine Express, August 23, 2011, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

My Spectrum Saddle Tank 0-6-0 DCC Model,does not  clear the Kadee Uncoupler Ramps,as  all my other Locos do,even the Bachmann Gandy Dancer. I have checked these with the Kadee Tool,and taken a bit off the ties to lower them a little. I think the 0-6-0 is built too low? Any suggestions please ?
Owen C Robinson

richg

Adjust the bend in the glad hand. There is a tool for this. Make sure the coupler is installed correctly. The mounting screw snug but not too tight.
You cannot raise the frame any higher.

Rich

Sunshine Express

It is the large plastic moulding under the loco ,covering the main drive that is hitting the KD uncoupler ramps,not the locos couplers. Even my Gandy dancer gpes over the KD ramps,as do my other Bachmann/Spectrum Locos.
Owen C Robinson

jward

some locos will do this. the old atlas diesels from the 1970s were notorious for bottoming out on  kadee magnats as well.

you might want to take this gearbox cover off the loco and file it down a little. don't take much off, just enough so it clears your magnets, you may have to take the cover off and file it a few times before you get it right, it;s a pain to keep disassembling and reassembling the loco, but doing so will keep the filings out of the gearbox.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: Sunshine Express on August 23, 2011, 07:47:45 PM
It is the large plastic moulding under the loco ,covering the main drive that is hitting the KD uncoupler ramps,not the locos couplers. Even my Gandy dancer gpes over the KD ramps,as do my other Bachmann/Spectrum Locos.

Read to quickly. I just grind off a little on the bottom that extends to far. Not a big deal. I had forgotten that I had did this a couple times a few years ago.

Rich

Tom M.

Sorry, but no, you cannot run the 0-6-0 saddle tank Spectrum without the bottom gear cover in place.  The cover holds both the wheelsets in the model as well as the electrical contact wipers.  I have 2 of these models in my own collection and just replaced the wheelsets in another for one of my DCC services clients.  As has been mentioned already, I would recheck the height of the magnet and you may be able to thin the thickness of the plate by some careful sanding.

By the way, I've noticed a similar issue with the latest run of GE 44 ton switchers.  The bottom truck plate is to low and it will hit the guard rails on some commercial turnouts.  I am going to thin the plates on these via sanding.

Tom

Quote from: Doneldon on August 24, 2011, 02:52:31 AM
Sunshine-

Doublecheck the height of that uncoupler. Also, you can run
the loco without the gear cover though it's better to keep it
on.
                           -- D

Sunshine Express

Thanks to all for this very useful advice   Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson