News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Un-ceasing an RS3

Started by rockymidlandrr, August 26, 2011, 08:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockymidlandrr

I have a Roundhouse "Improved Power Drive" RS3 that I have acquired, actually 2 of them.  One runs really good but one truck "clicks".  The other one, the motor is ceased up and is hard to turn, but it will.  The question is, would it be safe to use electric motor cleaner to try to free it up.  What else can be used to get the motor to run like new, besides a new one?

jward

the clicking sound you hear in the truck is probably a cracked axle gear.

is it the motor that is seized up? remove the worm gears and drive shafts from both ends of the motor and see if the motor turns easily. if it does, you have a drive train problem not a motor problem. do not try to run the locomotive until you have fixed the drive train problem.

with the worm gears removed, each truck should roll freely. if you can't turn the wheels by hand, you will have to take that truck apart and see what is causing the bind.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rockymidlandrr

Well, got home from work.  I had the motor previously taken off the chasis the last time I looked at it.  Well I got the tinkering around again, and realize that one bushing wasnt in.  The spring from the top bushing was putting a bind in the shaft.  Needless to say, mechanical problem solved!  Thanks for the help, just needed some time and thought put into it. 

Now to start thinking of a paint scheme....