News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 sound and intro

Started by hytwr1, September 03, 2011, 08:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hytwr1

Hi guys,

Long time modeler but fairly new to large scale.

I just picked up a MILW limited edition Big Hauler set off e-bay. Not a bad set for the money, but I'm missing a few things.

The smoke stack is gone and a couple items broken. Kitbashing should fix those.

The thing that has me puzzled though is the sounds from the tender. How do I control them? When the trains starts to move I get one blast from the whistle and that's it. How do I make it do more? Is there a bell sound too?

Thanks
Bill

the Bach-man

Dear Bill,
Our Ten Wheelers never have had a whistle or bell. Yours must have an after-market sound system.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

hytwr1

Ah Ok. Thanks for the follow up.

Now to figure out what's in it and how to make it work.   :)

There is a circuit board attached to the tender with a spring type antenna and a z shaped solid contact. The board has part number VS-301 etched on it. Radio control of some sort?

If I short the spring to solid contact I get constant whistle.

Bill

Dave

Sounds like a CMI sound board. I have one in my R/C Annie. The spring underneath is to trigger the whistle. There is also a volume control and Chuff rate control as well. Make sure both are about half way and also the battery needs to be at least 9volt. I have had mine for about 10 years and it is still chuffin away. By todays standards its a bit of a farmyard unit . You could replace it with a "My Loco" board which has a bit more grunt  and a lot smaller.     
               Cheers

Dave

hytwr1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. Will have to pull the tender open and see what's inside I guess.

So the spring triggers the whistle. I assume there needs to be something to trigger the spring in between the rails like a magnet maybe?

Bill

Dave

You don't need a magnet Bill, just a small lump of rubber or wood or whatever, fastened to the sleepers where you want the Whistle to sound off. Make sure it is'nt higher than the Rails or it can cause an uncoupling problem if any of your couplers are a bit on the saggy side.
               Cheers

Dave

hytwr1

all mechanical then.

Thanks Dave.

Bill