News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

modelbuilder software

Started by arthur0109, September 20, 2011, 09:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur0109

any opinions on modelbuildersoftware.com ? it looks like a pretty neat way to build layout structures on the cheap.   

CNE Runner

Arthur - I purchased this program some time ago and have yet found the time to use it. My initial reason for the purchase was to secure a source of building surface overlays. Another use could be for temporary structures to fill in the 'hole' in the layout...until a permanent structure can be built and placed.

One note of concern: If you plan on using this program to print out permanent structures, I strongly suggest you spray the sheet with some sort of a UV protectant after printing. Unless you are using archival inks, your structures will fade in time due to sunlight and a host of other variables.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

RAM

Arthur, Do a search for paper building.  I think there are 3 or 4 companies that have programs.  They also have samples that you can print.

Jim Banner

Last year, I built the Berry-Lincoln Store downloaded free from this site:

http://www.state.il.us/hpa/ps/construct_mainstreet.htm#BYOM

I built it in 0-scale, first time using 90 pound cover weight paper ("card stock") and later using the same paper over a box made of very thin plywood.  The straight card stock version did not hold its shape well.  But the card stock over 1/8" plywood version has stood up very well, traveling to train shows and being handled many times as part of teaching youngsters how to turn their train sets into model railroads.  I used 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood because I end up with lots of suitable scrap pieces, but if I wasn't into wood working, 1/4" foam core would have been my next choice.  I am not sure if you would have the same problem with H0 models in card stock.

On my H0 layout, I have a number of house sized buildings built out of matte board and card stock.  Once they are painted and window glass is installed, they are hard to tell from kits.  The glazed windows allow interior lighting which adds another level of realism.  I also have some large buildings made of foam core and covered with computer printouts drawn using Windows Paint.  Paint is not the best drawing program but it does allow you to build up a single element, a brick for example, pixel by pixel.  Then you can reproduce it over and over by cutting and pasting so that 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4, 4 becomes 8 and so on.  In an evening you can design and build a 10 or 12 story background building that towers over your trains, just as you would see in the down town of many North American cities today.  With model building software, that boring mucking about at the pixel level is already done for you.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

arthur-

Purists might have a problem with paper buildings since they lack physical
texture but I think they are fine, at least for background buildings or
temporary ones.
                                  -- D

mabloodhound

Clever Models have developed some of the best card stock printable structures I have seen.   From 2 feet away it is hard to tell they are printed on paper/card.
They even offer a CD of textures which you can print out and use to make your own design.   And they are RR modelers also which is a plus.   They do have a Facebook page and sometimes offer Free kits on their blog.
Oh, and they are also in O, S, HO and N scales.
http://www.clevermodels.net/
Very helpful and friendly guys.
Just a satisfied customer.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

CNE Runner

Agreeing with 'Blood', I also recommend the Clever Models buildings. Recently I taught a 'skills' class to some nursing home attendees - using the free Clever Models project (they could construct these 'models' on their wheelchairs)...the folks had a great time and did an admireable job. Additionally, I strongly suggest that you download one of their free building projects as working with paper/cardstock media is very different from other materials...their website has an excellent tutorial.

Ray

ebtnut

My one gripe about Foamcore is that it tends to warp a bit over time, probably because of the paper facing.  There is a similar product called Gatorboard that replaces the paper facing with very thin plywood veneer.  I've found this material to be very stable.  There is usually someone at the Timonium, MD train show that sells it, if you're in the vicinity.  The next show is the last weekend in October. 

Jim Banner

Quote from: Doneldon on September 21, 2011, 02:34:48 AM
arthur-
Purists might have a problem with paper buildings since they lack physical
texture but I think they are fine, at least for background buildings or
temporary ones.
                                  -- D

I agree that you might want to use simple, printed buildings set a bit back on the layout or as stand ins for full 3-D buildings you intend to produce later.  However, running off multiple prints and using paper tole tricks and techniques shows a lot of promise for up front, front row structures.  Whether that is worth the trouble compared to scratch building from solid materials is up to you.

An added advantage of paper buildings is that like scratch built ones but unlike kits, it is easy to make them smaller in order to scale the third dimension, often referred to as forced perspective.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Micro Mark sells Gatorboard and I, like ebnut, highly recommend the product. Micro Mark's selection of Gatorboard can be viewed at:

I hope this helps,
Ray

clevermod01

Thanks for the kind words guys. We try.
Just got back from the O scale national in Indy and there were sure lots of modelers with their nose 6" from our display diorama. Moved quite a few disks even though the show was not well attended. mostly we sold to other dealers.
I have some strong opinions about model builder and i don't consider them a competitor. I do like scale scenes product and wish paper creek were still around.

Thom