I have an unopened Golden Spike set Item 41-175

Started by Notatrainguy, October 12, 2011, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notatrainguy

I apologize in advance if this violates your forum rules, but I have had this train set for 20+ years and it is time to get it in the hands of someone who can appreciate it.  When I came across your forum, I thought one of you would value it.  I would like to sell it and will take a reasonable offer to a good home.  The box is unopened with the plastic wrap cover still tight.  The box says over 100 pieces with a diesel engine and 5 cars.  (Trestle bridege with blinking light.)

If this violates your policy, please disregard.  If not, please let me know what I would need to post for a buyer to get in touch with me.

As my username says, I am not a train guy.  20 years ago, I thought a child me be in the future, but at 47, it doesn't look promising!

Scott A.
Minnesota

Jim Banner

Your train set is not worth a great deal of money but it could be worth a great deal to a youngster this coming Christmas.  In my part of the world there are always groups looking for Christmas presents for children who might not otherwise get one.  Or perhaps you know of such a person.  Or perhaps you know of a retiree who could use a hobby and would make good use of it.  This is just a suggestion but in the end, giving the set away could well bring you more pleasure than the money you could get from selling it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

John J

I have a great nephew that has been bugging my brother and his mom and also his dad for a train set from Santa this year I could just image his face at Christmas time if he would get one.

This has taken my back to the first train set I had and my face when I opened it up, it is to bad I have no clue where it went to, I left it at My dad's house and have never see it since....and it was a tyco brand train set...

I think You would have much more satisfaction giving it a nephew or a grandson or just a neighbors kid at Christmas time as well 8)

John J 

Notatrainguy

John and Jim,

I appreciate your thoughts and may very well do so.  I was hoping it was a Picasso of train sets though!  Thanks much for your replies.  Best Wishes.

Scott

Doneldon

Nota-

No, it's not a Picasso. It's not even a John Doe. With the exception of some hand-built brass locomotives and a few very limited release pieces there aren't any really valuable older trains. Many people think that old trains are worth a lot of money because they heard of someone's Lionel set but most of those stories are baloney. (Most = 99.999%)

Train sets are built as toys, not as art or collectables. As a consequence, they are made in large numbers, inexpensively, and without an emphasis on durability or quality. Add the fact that the appearance and operational characteristics of newer models are far superior to what was produced even a few years ago, and I'm sure you can understand why older train sets are worth next to nothing.
                                                                                                                         -- D

ForThemPanzerz

giving this to a child will hopefully start a lifelong passion for model trains until the end when he has been in model railroader 50 times... this is the worlds best hobby. nobody talks about politics or the economy  at RR meetings their all just there because they all love trains and hope to get the younger world involved to. a cheap bachmann trainset is what got me into the hobby when i was a child and now i subscribe to all the kalmbach magazines.
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

and i forgot to mension i also have a layout with 20+ engines and 40+ cars with a lot of buildings... and im only 15
Forumfield