News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how do i restore hand laid track?

Started by ForThemPanzerz, September 30, 2011, 11:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForThemPanzerz

how do i restore hand laid track. i bought a small on30 layout that needed track restoration but was very nicely laid.
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

i also searched and searched and searched but got nothing.
Forumfield

mabloodhound

Mr S, you need to be more specific about what needs to be "restored".   You might also want to join a forum that offers more specific help on track laying with modelers who do this all the time.   One is http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/ which has many folks who do their own track work. 8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ForThemPanzerz

Quote from: mabloodhound on October 01, 2011, 09:44:05 AM
Mr S, you need to be more specific about what needs to be "restored".   You might also want to join a forum that offers more specific help on track laying with modelers who do this all the time.   One is http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/ which has many folks who do their own track work. 8)
some of the rail spikes have fallen out or are just missing and one of the flexrails also isnt connected but we have it
Forumfield

Jim Banner

First you need some tools.  A 3 point H0 track gauge for laying straight and curved track; a pair of spiking pliers - a small pair of needle nose pliers will do; something for cutting rail such a a Xuron rail nipper or an Atlas hobby saw; and a small, fine toothed file or in a pinch, some emery boards.  Second you need some supplies.  H0 spikes (I like Micro Engineering small spikes); H0 rail joiners; 0 scale narrow gauge ties to match the ones you have if any are broken; and some rail if any is damaged or missing.  If your local hobby shop does not carry rail, you can always strip the rails out of a piece of flex track, or for small lengths, out of sectional track.

If your damaged trackwork includes any turnouts or crossings, you will also need an NMRA H0 track and wheel gauge and probably a soldering iron.

I would suggest that before you begin repairing any track, you spend some time laying some track.  Three or four feet that includes both curves and straights is probably enough.  This will give you a feel for the process and some assurance that repairing the track will not do more harm than good.

Jim     
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ForThemPanzerz

Forumfield