News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shinohara #4 DOUBLE CROSSOVER --- TURNOUT

Started by czechwizard, October 03, 2011, 09:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

Guys, will I have any electrical or radius curve problem with these double crossovers, I would use them manually only on my new second yard with Atlas Code 100 track ? I don't have any problem with EZ track #6 Single Crossovers, in terms of shorts or derailments, but these are #4 ? Anybody knows this #4 Shinohara radius ? Can the loco cause a short if it derails, e.g., going the wrong way, my fault ? This is the info that goes with it on ebay.

Now that more and more layouts are using Digital Command Control, we've revised our entire selection of turnouts to make them DCC-Friendly.

These drop-in replacements for existing  Code 100 products come fully assembled with:

Isolated frog with built-in connection;

Power Route-Selective All-Rail Frog

CURRENT IS CONTROLLED BY THE TURNOUT SETTING

Improved point clearance gaps to prevent short circuits from metal wheelsets

Insulated tie bar

Tab reinforcement to hold points more securely

Option to power frog through switch machines

Compatible with all swtich machines on the market

What's this ? I would use it only manually in the yard !!!

You will need to install an auto reversing unit on your layout once the crossover is installed. ????

THIS UNIT IS DCC READY

Len

Unless you're installing it as part of a reversing loop or wye there shouldn't be any need for an "Auto Reversing Unit" as mentioned in the last part of that ad.

A #4 turnout or crossover doesn't actually have a radius, since the diverging track is actually straight. But for planning what will go through it without problems, I treat #4's as roughly equivelant to an 18in radius curve.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

i am not sure how the shinohara crossover works. i've never been a fan of their products. it might be simpler to make your own from atlas components. for this you'll need the following:

1 25 degree crossing.
2 #4 left
2 #4 right
2 2" straight.

the reason i suggested making your own from atlas components is that they are known to be dcc friendly. atlas track  has been dcc friendly for over 50 years, long before there was dcc. no need for an autoreverser with their track. the frogs are isolated but can be easily powered using a caboose industries hand throw, with contacts.

it sounds to me from the description of the shinohara crossover that while the individual switches may be dcc friendly, the crossing at the center is not. thus the need for an autoreverser on dcc. bear in mind that autoreversers for dcc are NOT compatable with dc. the atlas track will work with either dc or dcc with no modifications.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

There's a good description on how to modify the old style (not specifically sold as "DCC Friendly") Walthers/Shinohara double crossovers to make them suitable for use in a DCC layout at: http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches_walthers_old.htm#a2

This is a good sight to bookmark if you're getting in to DCC.

Len

czechwizard

Quote from: jward on October 06, 2011, 08:24:53 AM
i am not sure how the shinohara crossover works. i've never been a fan of their products. it might be simpler to make your own from atlas components. for this you'll need the following:

1 25 degree crossing.
2 #4 left
2 #4 right
2 2" straight.

the reason i suggested making your own from atlas components is that they are known to be dcc friendly. atlas track  has been dcc friendly for over 50 years, long before there was dcc. no need for an autoreverser with their track. the frogs are isolated but can be easily powered using a caboose industries hand throw, with contacts.

it sounds to me from the description of the shinohara crossover that while the individual switches may be dcc friendly, the crossing at the center is not. thus the need for an autoreverser on dcc. bear in mind that autoreversers for dcc are NOT compatable with dc. the atlas track will work with either dc or dcc with no modifications.

This Atlas thing sounds great, so for a #6 double crossover I will need :

1 25 degree crossing or any different ? what degree ?
2 #6 left
2 #6 right
2 2" straight or any different ? what size ?.

If the result is the same ?, a #6 double crossover really ?, I'd prefer the Atlas code 100, because Shinohara code 83 only is DCC friendly and always comparing price ! This has me hooked !

jward

for #6, the crossing is 19 degrees, the straights are 2".....

upon looking at the atlas plan book for the #4 crossover, i see the straights there are 2 1/2" not 2" as i originally stated.....

some further dimensions to help your track planning:

track centers, both #4 and#6 are 3".....

overall length of crossovers, 20 1/2" for #4, 26" for #6....

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

czechwizard

hmm, but how to connect it, which first, second, third, a sequence, any pic, because I'm killing myself drawing it and it doesn't fit or work ! ?

Len

For a #4 crossover with Atlas switches you'll need two LH Switches, two RH Switches, two 1in and two 1-1/4in straights, and a 25deg crossing. The diverging legs of the #4 switches connect directly to the 25deg crossing. One 1in and one 1-1/4in 'fitter' straights go between the through legs of the switches on each side of the crossing.

The Atlas book calls for 2-1/2in straights between the switches, but personally I've found using the smaller pieces to create a 2-1/4in straight is less of a hassle. There's a little bit of "fudge factor" involved when installing the small straights, so there will be some small gaps between rails when everything is lined up, but operationally I've never had a problem with this. If it bothers you, you'll have to cut your own custom 'fitter' pieces to eliminate it.

Len