News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

power pack

Started by arthur0109, October 06, 2011, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur0109

what power pack do i use for switch machine control. i'm using the ez-command controler so all i need is ac power to the switches. i will also be installing an auto-reverse loop in the near future so a multi-purpose power source would be ideal.   thanks

arthur0109

i should add that this is a dcc controller

ACY

You need to buy a separate power source for accessories.

richg

I just checked The Shack on line. They say AC adapter but are probably DC out.
I did a quick search of Walmart but all the adapters I see so far put out DC voltage even though many are called AC adapters.
Some buy an AC adapter and find out they are only DC out.
Usually they are called AC adapters because you plug them into the wall outlet which is AC.
You are better off with AC for twin coil machines.
No doubt, you can find an old train power pack for a few dollars at ebay.
A Circuitron Snapper woud be ideal as they are made for twin coil machines.

Rich

jward

the twin coil type switch motors, which are normally the ones used with the switch control boxes like the one hunt described, will work equallly well on dc or ac. in fact, many of us use or have used a capacitor discharge unit with our twin coil switch motors, both for added kick when throwing the switches, and to help prevent switch motors from overheating. the output of a capacitor discharge unit is dc. so it really doesn't metter whether the output to the switch controllers is ac or dc as long as the output is sufficiently high.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Twin coil machines will work with DC better if you use the Snapper, a Capacitive Discharge Unit, CDU.
You need to feed the CDU with a voltage of up to 24 volts DC or AC so you still need an old power pack or adapter.
Feed DC or AC in and you get a DC voltage out when you hit the switch. The capacitor is charged and dumps into the coil with a snap. Works every time.
Straight DC from a power pack will not always work if the voltage is not high enough.
If you cannot afford a CDU that cost about $24.00, get and old power pack that has an accessory AC terminal on it or a adapter that puts out about 12 to 14 vac.
Our club has an old transformer that puts out about 14 VAC and works like  charm for many years.
We have one three way Peco that is fired by a CDU I built.

Rich

Doneldon

Art-

You don't need to purchase a new transformer for your turnouts if you have something suitable around your home, like one for a cell phone or radio, toy or other low voltage device. You'll want something that puts out 14 volts, plus or minus two, and at least half an amp. You'll want a larger output, a full amp or so, if you plan to connect you turnouts in such a fashion that you can throw several simultaneously. In the alternative, a capacitive discharge circuit can operate many turnouts at the same time. The Shack has a board, I think, as do several model railroad electric and electronic supply companies. This company >>> talkelectronics.com <<< has excellent products, a highly informative website and outstanding service. You can order their CD system and have it in your hands faster than all but the very fastest companies in the States, yet TE is in Australia!
                                                                                                                            -- D

jward

capacitor discharge circuits need a power supply. if the power supply is ac then you also need some sort of rectifier to convert ac to dc. think of a capacitor as a bucket being filled with water. you fill the bucket at the sink (dc power supply), then "dump the bucket" to throw the switches. with ac you'd be dumping the bucket back into the sink 60 times per second.

that said, while they are nice, capacitor discharge units aren't a necessity to use dc th throw switches. a 12v dc power supply will work too.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

The Circuitron Snapper come with a rectifier to convert AC to DC and passes DC if all you have is DC.
Some of the DIY circuits will usually mention oo show a rectifier to convert AC to DC.
The issue some run into using DC is that the switch contacts sometimes will stick in the closed position and the coil will burn out. Might depend on the type of switch.
I remember hearing and reading Model Railroader way back into the 1960s of this happening is why the CDU was developed by modelers that had electronic experience.
We have been using 16 VAC since the 1980s at our club.
Holding the switch down if the turnout or machine is hanging up can burn out a coil. With a CDU, this will not normally happen.
Using 12 vdc is on the low side for the turnout alone. Though a CDU should not be an issue. That is why I strongly suggest the Snapper or build your own CDU is you understand basic electronics.
You might go for sometime before a coil burns out but the machine may not be easily replaced, plus you get a sure snap when the switch is hit. You may come to a situation where you want to switch more than one turnout at a time. Our club has this issue. Some fire six on a ladder track.

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IT&Product_Code=CIR-5303&Category_Code=

Rich