Possible Help on and Old GS4

Started by gpmcty, October 07, 2011, 12:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpmcty

Hello, I am looking for some help with an old Bachmann GS4 Daylight.  My in-laws bought my son a Chessie painted GS4 off eBay.  As you probably figured like all of those old Bachmann steam engines, it suffers from split axle rods which have allowed the drivers to slip out of quarter or fall apart.  Normally I would just junk it but because its a gift and he wants a Chessie Steam special I'm stuck figuring out how I might fix it without dumping a boat load of money into it.  He is 4 so turning him loose on a Precision Craft Reading T1 is probably not the best solution. 

I don't know the part numbers for the old axles and considering the age I kinda doubt Bachmann would have them anyway.  Does anyone know of an after market source?

Did the Bachmann Plus GS4 use the same drive or is it like the new GS4?  Can the old Bachmann shell be mounted on the Plus drive or the new drive?  Mounting the shell on a new drive would be my preferred way of fixing this.  Also does it have to be the GS4?  Are all the 4-8-4 drives the same with the same mounting positions?

Thanks

Greg McCartney

ACY

I am pretty sure nothing is interchangeable, but your best bet would be to call service and ask. But I can tell you that they have no parts for the older Bachmann 4-8-4's available. Good luck

r0bert

You should be able to fit the shell on the new drive, but it may require minor modifcations to fit securely.
exploded view of new version
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H502X-IS001.PDF
parts for chassis are available, but for not much less then you can pick up entire entire loco, and just move the shells.
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_154

gpmcty

How are the side rods attached to the drive wheels?  The rear drive wheel is a small machine screw with a blade head.  The others look like pins though.  Are they threaded as well?  I don't want to just start pulling on things for fear of tearing it up more.  I also tried twisting them back out out but didn't seem to get anywhere either.  Any thoughts?

Greg McCartney