News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to fix a stripped gear?

Started by bob39520, August 13, 2011, 11:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob39520

I have a 28 Ton Two-Truck Climax (#28605) with what looks like a stripped gear on the rear drive shaft. When the loco gets to a curve the drive shaft spins but the wheels do not turn. Could a drop of glue fix this problem or will I just create more problems? I am not adverse to sending it in for repairs, just thought a little glue might get it working again.

Bob Miller
Pelahatchie Bob

max (uk)

This doesn't sound like a stripped gear to me. My climax had this problem a while back and I found that the universal joint connecting to the central gearbox (part 25706) had split. This meant that the one of the trucks was only driven by friction on this join. When I glued it back on I found it has worked fine ever since.

I would suggest unscrewing the pan under the driving wheels and take a look.

Hope this helps.

Max

bob39520

Thank-You,Thank-You,Thank-you.   Took a little while with these old eyes and a magnifying glass. Turned out to be the little (universal?) joint connected to the rear trucks. A little (very little) CA glue and I'm back in business again. Runs like a champ...

Bob Miller
Pelahatchie Bob

ScottyB

Glad it worked out.  I had the same issue with mine and same solution - a drop of CA on that joint with a small electrical clip to hold it together while it dries and I've had no issue in the 2+ years since.

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Broken Shay

A more permanent solution is to take a very small ring of 1/8 Aluminum tubing and slip it over the U-Joint.  The Aluminum tubing is a couple 1/1000 ths smaller than the u-joint.  It will press on with a touch of effort and stay forever. 

The CA will hold for awhile, but that u-Joint is made from Derlin and the CA will not stick to it forever.

John

DWU

Hate to be an old GRUMP,but here we are talking about how to fix a problem that Bachman knows is happening way to often.Yes we can return it for repair but we shouldnt have to and then wait and wait and wait! Not how it should be !

Broken Shay

Went through a similar issue with the Shay, at last they came out with a better set of gears that DO work.  The broken collar is an easy fix and it will last forever. 

Maybe not the best solution, but a solution.