News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Using Youtube

Started by jonathan, December 01, 2011, 12:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Call me behind-the-times it you wish.  I recently set up a youtube account to see what it was all about.  I found setting up an account was much easier than photobucket.com.

Additionally, my herky-jerky videos move much more smoothly using this tool.  As an experiment, I uploaded an old video I made when I completed work on my Varney Docksder.  It took seconds instead of minutes.  Still my camera is a cheapy so the video is still a bit pixelated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5MoCorYztk

However, this will be a much better tool when demonstrating future tinkering projects.  Now all I need is a better camera. I recommend it.  Then I'm easily impressed, too. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jettrainfan

Glad to hear you got a youtube account! The video itself isn't as bad as it may look, your filming was very smooth, and the pixelated is clear enough to see the engine and scenery (watched it on my phone). Hopeing to see more videos in the future and will subscribe! (Seeing your pictures over the couple years I've been here have been excellent, I'm sure the videos are just as good.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

richg

I found out two or three years ago You Tube was better, just never thought of mentioning that fact here. A few pictures are good but a video sometimes can be quite better.

Rich

Michigan Railfan

Glad to see you made a YouTube account. I subscribed. Now we can see more of your awesome layout  ;D

VidGuy069

Jonathan;
I 'joined' YouTube about a year or so ago.  I'm just sorry I waited so long.

email me private and we can discuss giving up on 'cheapy'.  :)  If you like.

VidGuy069

vidguy069@cox.net
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

CNE Runner

What a great video - showcasing the excellent work you did on that little locomotive (boy can that critter run!). I realize that you are working with 'home quality' video equipment; but the end results attest to your talent and skill. In the first place the image was smooth and in focus. Now contrast your effort with this sample from the huge model railroad files of YouTube:
Honestly I am not criticizing the content (or intent) of the video...the subject is of value to anyone not familiar with scenery. No, my criticism is directed solely at the presentation.

So what can we learn from this viewing?
   1) Always use a tripod to 'steady' the camera.
   2) Use a slow, even movement when 'panning' a shot.
   3) If at all possible, have a camera person - allowing you to demonstrate and narrate.
   4) Use a script that is printed in large enough letters to read off camera (better yet 'dub' the sound in later)...in other words: don't 'wing it'.

Jonathan - I've said it before, and I'll say it again...you have the 'eye' and talent to instruct others in the hobby. I sincerely hope this video is only your first in a string of instructional videos/images/posts.

My hat is off to you,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

Ray,

You are too kind.  Thanks to the other responders as well.  I am a hack compared to some of the other work I have seen.  Don't think I haven't noticed your artwork and theatrical slight of hand on the Monks Island.  Great Stuff.

My hope is, my photographic techniques (and equipment) will improve as my layout evolves.

Seems there are a myriad of talents to master as time goes on:  building rolling stock, reliable trackwork, electronics, more realistic scenery, good lighting (really hard), and photography.  If Allen Keller is still kicking when I put it all together, maybe I'll get him to do the narration. :)  Assuming my own eyesight and manual dexterity hang in there as I get older.

Ray, your link led me to another video that was mildly entertaining:  the World's Worst Model Train Wrecks.  Not up to Gomez Adams explosions, but it made me chuckle.

Regards,

Jonathan