News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

make a 2 truck shay PLEASE

Started by ForThemPanzerz, October 15, 2011, 08:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForThemPanzerz

Rhe 2 truck shay is a great model and  the only ones on the market right now are a company with a really REALLY expensive one and the old Roundhouse ones that have horrible motors and gear problems.  Keap the 3 truck boiler and cab and give us the option of what type of  fuel bunker and also give us the option of what stacks and fuel we want. and before you all send me the link to geard steam ill send it to myself...
http://gearedsteam.blogspot.com/2010/12/converting-ho-scale-spectrum-3-truck.html

Something like that would be very cool to add to our 3 truck fleet.
Forumfield

richg

You can sometimes find the two truck on ebay. All you have to do is sometimes replace the cracked gear.

Some use the three truck and remove the rear truck.

There may be some on the next slow boat from China where thry are produced. People here and other forums are looking for them. Probably after the three truck has run its course. This stuff comes from China in batches.

Rich

ForThemPanzerz

Quote from: richg on October 15, 2011, 09:35:44 PM
You can sometimes find the two truck on eBay. All you have to do is sometimes replace the cracked gear.

Some use the three truck and remove the rear truck.

There may be some on the next slow boat from China where thry are produced. People here and other forums are looking for them. Probably after the three truck has run its course. This stuff comes from China in batches.

Rich
i would prefer the MDC shay but i hear that the shays are extremely hard to put to gether...  if athearn/roundhouse ever reissues the 2 truck shay i will definitely get it but it seams that roundhouses products have all become athearn n scale. n scale is OK but i would never convert to it. to small and to under detailed compared to ho. ho is almost the perfect size for my eyes. and it is easy to repair and is in someways cheaper.
Forumfield

Geared Steam

I purchased a "ready to run" MDC Shay several years ago, I had already been through the assembly process on a MDC 3 truck 20 years ago, so I have some idea what it takes. What was nice with the RTR version is it was DCC ready, was already assembled and all I needed to focus on was the NWSL upgrades and the usual tweaking of the line shafts and trucks. It runs okay, but still not as well as the Bachmann. Matter of fact after I did the conversion on the Bachmann Shay my MDC has been boxed and stored ever since, I love my Spectrum T2, it is really much easier to modify than you would think. I have recently installed a Rivarossi Heisler oil bunker on it.
I think it would be great for Bachmann  to release a 2T Shay, all they would have to do is design a 2T undercarriage and install the 3T parts on it. A sound decoder would be a tight squeeze.

I love geared steam as well, if you want to convert a 3T I will help you all I can.

ForThemPanzerz

the rtr 2 truck is very rare on ebay and i only see one every couple  months and they are always for the west side lumber co. i would like an undecorated version or a D&RGW version. maybe bachmann can include their on30 railnames like colorado mining co. or midwest quarry & mining. like they did for the 0-6-0
Forumfield

ForThemPanzerz

bachmann should get into hon3 to just because all the on30 stuff scaled down to ho gauge would be pretty cool and affordable.
Forumfield

Geared Steam

Quote from: mr shay on October 16, 2011, 02:17:36 PM
the rtr 2 truck is very rare on ebay and i only see one every couple  months and they are always for the west side lumber co. i would like an undecorated version or a D&RGW version.

Not really, there are 3 or 4 on now, 2 of them are D & RGW.  Road name means nothing to me if I want a loco, roadname and colors can always be changed, but again I like to tinker. It improves my options.