News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 dimensions, sound

Started by blwfish, November 02, 2011, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blwfish

How big are the drivers and boiler of the ex-Spectrum 2-8-0?

I'm needing some Consolidations to represent both early C&O power on Allegheny Mountain and late-steam era local power. The latter can be had expensively via a couple of brass imports of G-7's, but I am not aware of any models detailed like the 1915-era (or so) earlier road power.  The 2-8-0 model here might be a reasonable base from which to start if the basic dimensions are suitable.

Also, which sound decoder comes installed in the unit?

jonathan

blwfish,

I don't know the dimensions you are looking for. However, I know they have been posted on this forum in the past.  If you perform a search, like '2-8-0 dimensions' or '2-8-0 measurements', you should get a hit or two.

The sound 2-8-0s are now out of production.  They came with Tsunami Sound Units on board.  They do come up on ebay from time-to-time.  An after-market Tsunami TSU-1000 for Medium Steam will fit into the tender.  You will have to do a little drilling and soldering to get it installed.  There is help on line for this task.

Regards,

Jonathan

blwfish

Thanks. That link shows a measured diameter of 61".  At least to me, that's a pretty high driver for a Consolidation - C&O's large G-6, G-7 and G-9 classes had 50", 56" and 56" drivers, respectively. Clearly the Bachmann isn't a good platform for a G-6. I'm guessing that I'd have to try to play some visual tricks to make a G-7 or G-9 to come out right, but perhaps those would be OK if the boiler size is reasonable. G-9 boilers were visually a lot bigger than G-7's, so perhaps one or the other would be suitable.