News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Info please on my new 4-4-0

Started by Pops, November 03, 2011, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pops

???
I have purchased a new Spectrum Southern 440, item No: 80128 with DCC Sound etc.

A sticker on the box insert says, "Lift bottom insert sheet for additional product information." Well, I've lifted "everything" and there is no printed info in this box.

I was wondering what the extra wheels were for, and saw on another post that they are spares. Do these wear out a lot???  Also, the bag of extra parts (domes, etc) are interesting, but without any kind of manual, how do you use them.  The tender came with a coal load but no oil tank or wood load was included in the box.  Aren't they supposed to be included?  There is also a bag of black powder that looks like graphite.  What is that for?

Is a manual available for this (even on line?)  I was told I'd need "codes" to set up the DCC when I first use the locomotive, and I have no idea which code is which.

This is probably "old hat" for you guys, but for a newbie - I'm lost.

And that was all that was included.  There are other compartments in the box that were empty.  Is this just a generic mold or am I missing anything else?

FYI - it was purchased from a large dealer.  When I contacted them, they couldn't answer these questions.  They did offer the option for me to return it, however, I'd rather not, this is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks -
:-\

richg

Take some time to look thought all the Bachmann site. There is also a page with many loco diagrams. The 4-4-0 is there also. You can download them to your PC and print them out.

Rich

Pops

Thanks, Richg -

I did look through everything I could find before posting.  

There is a parts diagram, but no manual for what things are, how to take them apart/replace, or other info.  Or answers to my other questions.

I know I sound "uninformed" but that's because I am.

??? :P :-\ :D

blwfish

Caution: I don't have this particular model, so I'm operating from a certain type of blindness. However, I've had many other models, so most of this I can probably guess without seeing.

The wheels are probably slightly different size or type. Depending on the prototype or your interests, they may be more appropriate than the ones that are on the locomotive now, or they may not be. The wheels do wear out, eventually, but unless you're running a full-time display model, it'll be years plural before they're really needing replacement. Same for the domes, headlights, etc. There were thousands of these 4-4-0's made (tens of thousands, in fact) and they were fitted with appliances in a myriad different ways. If you like some of the other parts, or if your prototype was set up in a different way than what come out of the box, those parts are there to redetail it to your choosing.

I'm not sure what the intention was with the different fuels for the tender. Most of my prototypes used coal, and for the most part those have come only with coal. I have no idea about the powder.

DCC - you need to have a DCC controller. It will come with instructions for setting up the locomotives. In the meantime, new locomotives are generally set up at address 3, which is something you tell your DCC system. Of course you can change it (most of us change the address to the road number on the cab) once you have the DCC system set up, and in fact that's how you run different locomotives in a DCC system. Do you have a DCC control system?

I am not sure where the manuals are stored here on the Bachmann web site. I certainly had a tough time finding the manual for one of my models, but someone kindly provided a link.  It does sound like your box wasn't entirely complete.

Pops

Thanks guys -
I never would have found that link, Hunt, great help.
:)

the Bach-man

Dear Pops,
Call service. They'll supply the missing paperwork.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

ebtnut

The black powder is supposed to represent loose coal.  It is to be applied over the cast-in coal load by applying thinned glue to the surface and sprinkling the powder over it. 

Doneldon

Pops-

You can use the dust as ebtnut suggests or as soot around the
stack and on top of the loco. It will stay where you put it but you
must dull coat it to make it permanent.
                                                                -- D

Pops

Wow - thanks for the responses.  Never expected that much help.
Makes this beginner feel like I really lucked out when I found this forum.

Thanks Mr. B Mann - I'll contact service.

8)