News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

other Amtrak Loco's

Started by Simon Greasly, July 11, 2007, 01:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon Greasly

Hey there Simon Greasly again

I was just wondering is there a company out there that make other Amtrak loco's like say for example a EMD GP50. any other info would be nice i'm just trying to find anything  N scale that has Amtrak Livery
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.

thirdrail

Amtrak would have no use for a GP50, it's a freight locomotive. Kato does make P42's however.  www.katousa.com

GlennW

Check the Atlas catalog for a RS1, GP9, that may have been used as a MOW or shop switcher. Kato may have a F7 in first gen paint. Kato may have a E8/9 to go with a Heritage Amtrak set of cars. ConCor put an Amtrak scheme on their MP switcher. They may have done a PA to pull either a smoothside, corrugated, or later Budd car sets.

brokemoto

B-mann sold a GE electric in AMTRAK paint.  It may be out of production.  AMTRAK actually had these, but they did not last long.

Model Power sells its FP-7 with the 'pointless arrow' herald.  AMTRAK actually inherited a few of these from the railroads.  I do not know how long they lasted.

Kato sold its E-8s in AMTRAK, you must look for these, though.  AMTRAK did inherit many of these, as well.

Kato sells the FP-40 in AMTRAK.  This was AMTRAK's standard diesel locomotive for years.

Life-Like sold an FP-40 in AMTRAK.  It was plastic frame.  Not bad for its time, and will pull every piece of rolling stock that you own up a fifty per-cent grade on a nine-and-three-quarter curve, but it has been superceded.  It has no flywheels and has flexing  wires soldered to pivotting trucks.  ENGLISH TRANSLATION:  they will come unsoldered.  Those construction methods may have been fine for the late 1980s-early 1990s, but they are now passe.  There are many of these out there, even in sets that have one powered, one dummy and an AMTRAK NE (USRA I) caboose.

Life Like sold its plastic frame E-8 in AMTRAK.  There are still some out there if you look at shows.  These things are not bad, even by to-day's standards.  They do have a pretty good motor and flywheels and will pull every piece of rolling stock that you own up a thirty-five per-cent grade on an eleven inch curve.  I do not know if LL or Walthers sold/sells and AMTRAK metal frame E-8.  LL also sold plastic frame E-7s and E-6s, but I do not know if any came in AMTRAK.  Most of E-6s that were still out there in 1971 had been rebuilt to E-8 specifications by that time.

Con-Cor sold E-8s in AMTRAK paint.  It also sold its switcher in AMTRAK MOW orange.  C-C also had PAs in AMTRAK, but I do not think that AMTRAK ever ran PAs.  Most of the PAs were gone before 1971.

Arnold sold a G-G-1 in AMTRAK paint.

Atlas sells a Baldwin switcher in Auto-Train paint.  I understand that the prototype is still operational in Florida as a station switcher.

I may have omitted one or two.

nscaler711

What about Athearn's F59PHI or Kato's P42?
they're both reasonably priced
PVT Austin
MO Army National Guard
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

brokemoto

I did overlook the Kato P-42 as well as the Athearn F-59. 

The GF even has an Athearn F-59.  It seems to have only three speeds:  Stop, Pretty Fast and Warp Six.

I do not pay that much attention to AMTRAK as I am a smokehead, and, unless you bought one of those HO TYCO things in the 1970s, AMTRAK did not have steam locomotives (or does IHC sell one or more of their steam engines in AMTRAK?).

The GF likes AMTRAK, so she keeps up on what's out there.  I posted from memory about the things that she has mentioned, I just forgot one or two.

Simon Greasly

Thx to all for your help i have managed to locate an F40Ph and another one of Life likes amtrak models and as an added bonus i located an n scale GG1 in amtak color on EBay. Since i don't know how to use Ebay it is yours for the taking. good luck
City of Truro, Flying Scotsman, and the Mallard. Who will be the next to break the speed.