News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-truck Shay

Started by RWCharles, July 28, 2011, 05:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWCharles

I am in a 'bind'. Have a jam (probably plastic shards) in the gearing. Can't seem to find any detailed instructions for disassembly. Perhaps disassembly is not recommended for the novice without special tools. This was a fine running machine before this mishap. The model is 51196 Spectrum. Know of any simple ways out of this mess? Any suggestions?

Mike M

If only the front truck is jammed disconnect from cylinders and see if it runs. if that is what is happening then it is the cyliders are out of position Press in on them and see if that works
Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

I'm thinking you meant 81196.   If so you have a first run of the 2 truck shay.  The first runs of these had problems with the plastic innards of the trucks and they failed early.  Bachmann made a replacement set of trucks for this Shay.   

If yours is original without the replacement trucks you will probably need to get replacements.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Wade Colyer

tac

1.  Buy a pair of new - all-metal - trucks - about $120 or so.

2.  Remove old trucks.

3.  Replace with new trucks.

4.  Enjoy the rest of your life with what the Shay should have had in the fust place.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

brianclauto

I bought a BNIB#81199 2- truck 36-ton Shay at the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Hickory, NC this past September.  I believe this was built in 1997 based on the paperwork in the box. Item was still in the original factory sealed plastic wrap around the loco.  Took it apart tonight to lube it and noticed that all (4) axle gears are split.   I don't see a listing for trucks or gears for either the 36 or 55 ton shay on the Bachmann parts and service site.  Does anyone make replacement gears for it? It has yet to be placed on the track.  I would much rather have it operating than as a static display.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Brian

Wade Colyer

Hi Brian:

Replacement trucks (2) are part number 88999. They were first listed in 2005. Dealers still list them and I still see them at the shows.

Wade

Loco Bill Canelos

Brian,
Sorry to hear about your trouble.  If you bought it from a dealer who is a reseller, or a private party it may not have been new in the box.  I would try to take it back, especially if it was a large dealer.   

Sadly not everyone is trustworthy.   I have had several reports of guys buying this early run shay on EBay as "test run only" with the same problem.   I have also had reports of folks buying items new in the box, which were clearly not.   It does not take much to plastic wrap and make an item appear to look new in the box.

It is always best to test run the locomotive before buying.   Usually the convention or swap meet has a test track for the purpose.   If not one of the clubs or individuals displaying a layout will in most cases be glad to test it for you.

Even if you buy a BNIB from a large dealer, I recommend a test run before buying if at all possible.   My son had trouble with his L*G Mogul right out of the box from a major dealer, he had no problem returning it.

If you can not return it, your best bet is, as Wade said, to get the replacement trucks.

Bill

PS
For other reading this, I am still interested in hearing your horror stories when buying stuff, please send my your sad story direct to my email.

brianclauto

Thanks for the info guys!  I'll keep a look out for this part number.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty certain this one has never seen rails as there's no markings on the wheels, pinion gears or line shafts and the plastic wrap (bubble cacoon) still enclosed the engine.   Either way, I got it for next to nothing so even if it ends up being a shelf display I don't regret purchasing.

However, I'll be smiling more once it's in running condition!  Thanks again.

Brian

smcgill

Get the new metal trucks    it's worth the trouble!  :o
Great looking engine when its moving along!
I just installed a set on one of the first run units.I have a second one which sounds like your find.i will replace the trucks when I've used up all parts from both sets of trucks.The plastic just palls apart! >:(
Good luck.
Sean

Loco Bill Canelos

Bad trucks are probably why you got it for next to nothing,  go for the metal replacement trucks!! 

Bill