Decoder for ATHEARN/GENESIS HO SCALE SD-70MAC CSX ?

Started by czechwizard, November 15, 2011, 09:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

Guys, what kind of basic decoder fits this locomotive ? Do you think it's a 9 pin quick plug and play decoder that's needed ? What options do I have ? Can a nonexpert like me just plug it in, no messing with it ? Thanks.

jonathan

Czech,

I sold that model before I converted it to DCC.  However, if I remember my newer Athearn diesels correctly, both 9-pin and 8-pin sockets were already mounted.

I converted one Athearn diesel by pulling the jumper board from the 9-pin socket, and plugging in a basic Digitrax decoder into the existing 8-pin socket.  It worked fine.  I sold that one, too.

I'm told a decoder with a 9-pin plug works best.  It may cost a bit more, but I would look for a decoder that comes with the 9-pin harness.  

Better yet, make sure I'm correct:  lift the shell off that SD-70 and take a look at the board.  You should see a small jumper board connected to the larger circuit board with a 9-pin harness.  Plus, there should be an 8-pin socket somewhere on the main circuit board.  Like I said, I don't have those locos anymore, so my memory may be distorted by now. :)

Regards,

Jonathan