News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale couplers

Started by pedyusmc, November 18, 2011, 04:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedyusmc

i recently started an N scale model set. the shop that i went to for the loco and the cars that i have all had the same couplers. i went in to the same shop 3 weeks later and they had went to a train expo to sell their n scale stuff and possibly accuire new modeling items. i had noticed they purchased a pack of random new cars with the different couplers, they all had knuckle couplers compaired to all the cars and loco that i had purchased the 3 weeks prior... am i able to get the knuckle couplers and replace the old ones or do i need to get new trains?

RobBob

Check this out - Micro Trains (AKA Kadee) makes the best IMO. 

I'm guessing you have the old "Rapido" style couplers that look like a hook with a chiseled end. 

http://www.micro-trains.com/pl-NCouplers.php

Happy railroading.

pedyusmc

yeah thats exactly what i have, am i able to replace them with the knuckle couplers?

RobBob

Yes, that's what I'm saying.  They make a conversion coupler kit for almost everything ever made.  And for the ones they don't have a conversion for, they have a universal coupler that will fit anything.  Look through their catalog, you'll find it.  For cars and locomotives.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Ken G Price

I had a lot of cars I bought in the mid 70's that had the Rapido couplers that came with the trucks.
I replaced many with the T-shank knuckle couplers. The ones that had bad trucks I replaced the whole thing with new trucks that came with the knuckle couplers and new low flanged wheels.

I bought extras of both so on newly bought cars I can replace the complete truck assembly if it comes with large flanged wheels (pizza cutters) and Rapido coupler. 
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/