News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Roadbed and Track Laying

Started by Limey, November 25, 2011, 02:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

On my first layout I used cork roadbed glued down with yellow glue and nailed my track down to it.
This time I want to go with using caulking and I was wondering if any of you gents (and ladies ) had a preference as to type and make of caulking. I would think that a brown or grey colour would be the least visible and easiest to cover.

Thanks, Limey.

Doneldon

Limey-

You can still use yellow glue for your roadbed but you might find that silicone caulk works better because it can be removed with a putty knife. That may allow you to salvage the cork but, if not, at least you'll be able to reuse the layout surface.

Clear silicone works best for track. Run a small bead down the middle of the roadbed, spread it thinly with a putty knife or a similar tool, and embed the ties right in the caulk. This will give you a bit of time to adjust things and keep your tracks straight from one section to another. Use very little to adhere your track; if the silicone wells up between ties you've used to much. Some folks find it helpful to use push pins or small brads to hold things in alignment until the silicone cures, about 30 minutes. Make sure the silicone is plastic safe and plan on a next day squirt of Dull Coat or matte medium to take the gloss off of the silicone. Good luck!

-- D

Limey

Thanks Doneldon,  I knew there had to be a better way.  I tried to salvage some of the cork roadbed but without too much success, it had become dry and brittle and broke apart.

Limey.

Doneldon

Limey-

Yeah, that's pretty common for cork roadbed. Sometimes you can get some up to reuse but more often you can't.

-- D