News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale engine not moving

Started by Magpie, November 19, 2011, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

I just got my dads old 1987 Foley's track down to share with my daughter. I can get the engine to light up most of the time, and the wheels are turning but it won't move around the track. Is there anything I can do to get it to work?

Jerrys HO

Magpie-

Being it was stored the first thing I would try is cleaning the track using a brightboy or if you don't have one try wiping the track down with alcohol. Clean the wheels on your loco and lightly lube.

Jerry

Magpie

Now the light comes on but it just hums and doesn't try to move.

Doneldon

Mag-

Your loco is getting power if it lights and the wheels turn when the loco is on the track. Cleaning and lubing (be sure to use plastic compatible lubes and some conductive lube on the rails) will improve performance but may not solve your problem.

Do the wheels turn when the loco is on the track or just if you apply electricity to the wheels with a wire? If the latter, but the train doesn't move on the track, you could have some old congealed lube in the loco of a broken gear. Try the clean and lube first but get back to use if that doesn't do the trick. Use much, much LESS lube than the minimum you think is necessary.

Good luck and have fun with your daughter.
                                                                     -- D

Magpie

I have cleaned the track and lubed the engine, but it still will not move. Sometimes it gets power and lights up and the wheels turn but it won't move, and other times is wont even light up.

Jerrys HO

magpie-

When the wheels are turning you have to let it go. It will come back.

Enough with the jokes I know. When you say the wheels are turning are they spinning freely or are they barely moving like something is binding them? When you cleaned and lubed did you take the shell off and clean and lube. That set  I believe came with the F7 engine which is east to remove the shell if you haven't done that. Snap off the fuel tank and remove the screws holding the shell. You can use a battery to power it up so you can see the moving parts.

Jerry

tac

Quote from: Magpie on November 19, 2011, 02:32:12 PM
I just got my dads old 1987 Foley's track down to share with my daughter. I can get the engine to light up most of the time, and the wheels are turning but it won't move around the track. Is there anything I can do to get it to work?

What is 'Foley's track'?

Is it something that I should know about?

tac FOLEY
Ottawa Valley GRS