I'm New to this, Meaning Questions, So Many questions, HELP!

Started by Trainz222, November 26, 2011, 07:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainz222

Hello, Although I am new to Bachmann, I had A few old lionel's As a kid (Im in my teens)
Now, I would like to switch to from O gauge to HO gauge and make a layout, So, I have Questions.

1. I notice on the analog controller that there are accessorize ports, What type of accessories go there? (switches, lights, Animated accessories)

2. When the analog controller is wired to the DCC command control center, Is that the only way for accessory use. Ive seen in another post that you should use other means to power accessories ( remember, I'm planing a layout, with hopefully many lighted buildings and animated things) so what are said "other means"

3. Whats Are DCC switches how are they connected? Are they controlled right from the command center or by their own switch.

4. I've seen layouts where they have more then one main tracks ( the ones that the controller plugs into. I think its called the terminal/ Re -railer)

5. Is there a way to convert analog trains to DCC.

6. How Does the Analog controller work in conjunction with the command control center. What are the hazard of doing that as mentioned in the command controll center video on YouTube.

7.Is there a Difference between the black and gray tracks?

THANK YOU  :D

digitalgriffin

Quote from: Trainz222
1. I notice on the analog controller that there are accessorize ports, What type of accessories go there? (switches, lights, Animated accessories)

The accessories on power packs are typically ~12 VAC.  They are used to light buildings/street lights etc.

2. When the analog controller is wired to the DCC command control center, Is that the only way for accessory use. Ive seen in another post that you should use other means to power accessories ( remember, I'm planing a layout, with hopefully many lighted buildings and animated things) so what are said "other means"

You do NOT hook an analog power pack into a DCC system.  They are incompatible.  DCC is way different from O scale AC or old school HO/N scale DC.  You will have to have a dedicated power supply for the DCC track/trains, and another for the accessories (building lights, street lights etc)

3. Whats Are DCC switches how are they connected? Are they controlled right from the command center or by their own switch.

DCC layouts are a lot more sensitive to momentary electrical shorts than DC layouts are.  When they encounter the shorts, they shut down to protect the electronics.  DCC switches are really "DCC friendly" What that means is they are designed to be less likely of shorting when a train crosses over them.

4. I've seen layouts where they have more then one main tracks ( the ones that the controller plugs into. I think its called the terminal/ Re -railer)

For a first layout, you should only need one pair of wires (one for each rail x 2 rails)  The general rule of thumb is to put a feeder wire every 3 to 6 feet.

5. Is there a way to convert analog trains to DCC.

Yes.  The easiest ones to convert are labeled DCC ready.  Some like Bachmann, already have the DCC chip inside them and will work on both DC and DCC.

6. How Does the Analog controller work in conjunction with the command control center. What are the hazard of doing that as mentioned in the command controll center video on YouTube.

It doesn't.

7.Is there a Difference between the black and gray tracks?

one has steel rails, the other nickle silver.  Nickle silver is more expensive, but typically run trains better than steel which can rust over time.  I think it's the grey that's nickle silver.

Trainz222

What deticated power supply should I use for accesories?

And thank you for your answer

Doneldon

Trainz-

You can connect an analog controller to a Bachmann EZ Command DCC system. That will allow you to control one DC analog locomotive and free up the number ten location on the EZ Command unit for the control of another DCC loco. However, you will want to be very careful that you do not leave the analog loco sitting on DCC tracks for more than a very few minutes and you will want to check the DC loco for overheating regularly while you are operating it. Overall, I advise against operating DC locos on a DCC system even if, technically, you can.

Much of this is moot, however, because the EZ Command has such limited power that you will be able to operate only two or three current technology, silent locos at a time. You can add Bachmann's five-amp booster, which will increase your power greatly, but the booster is so expensive that you would be much better off with a different DCC system from the get go. For example, the Bachmann Dynamis system has considerably more power than the EZ Command and it will allow you nearly full access to the programming powers of DCC. Other manufacturer's entry level systems will do similarly for you.

Do note that DCC turnouts can be operated by track or power buss and switched with your DCC controller. This can make wiring much, much less complicated and expensive.

The idea of attaching one set of wires to your tracks and then operating DCC is a fallacy. The only layout where that would work is one which is too small to operate more than one loco at a time, obviating the need for DCC. You'll find that the best way to electrify your DCC set up is to use a 14-16 gauge power buss (16 ga. wire is what you'll find in most indoor extension cords; 14 ga. is typically used for lighting circuits in house wiring) under your layout, with short (6-8") 22 or 24 gauge feeders up to the rails. I use a feeder often enough that power never has to cross more than two rail joints, and usually only one. Rail isn't an especially good electrical conductor; rail joiners are worse. Keep your rails and loco wheels clean and you should have reliable operations as long as you don't count on rail joiners very much. I use a little glob of conductive wax in my rail joiners but even that can eventually allow enough oxidation that electricity won't flow freely through the joint. Build it for maximum reliability in the first place and you won't regret it. If you later have a track section where trains stall or hesitate you can always add a feeder there.

Any loco can be converted to DCC. Some are easy to do; others are a nightmare. Some are far too complicated, expensive and time consuming to justify the conversion. This is true of almost all locos older than 15 years unless they are quality brass models or have a special emotional value for you.

Never, but never, connect more than one power pack or DCC system to a section of track at a time. This is dangerous and potentially expensive.

You can use any low voltage power source you have around your home for accessories, including old wall warts like from dead cell phones, cameras or toys. Four-and-a-half volts will power LEDS without needing any resistors. You'll find that you can run an almost unlimited number of LEDs from a one amp 4.5 v source. Regular incandescent bulbs are more in the range of 12 to 16 volts. In addition to eating much more electricity, which means more power sources and wiring, they produce enough heat to melt spots in enclosures like buildings. A one amp or greater 14-16 volt wall wart will operate turnouts in the event that you aren't using track power and DCC control. If you plan to operate more than two turnouts simultaneously, look into a capacitive discharge circuit. These can work wonders, meaning reliable turnout operation and greatest safety for your switch motors.

Welcome to the world of HO. I think you'll find a greater selection of merchandise at more affordable prices than with your old Lionel. I'm not bashing Lionel, by the way; I and thousands of other model rails started there ourselves. But HO has lots of advantages. (One of them is not wiring. Three-rail trains are much easier to wire than two-rail.)
                                        -- D

Trainz222

"Do note that DCC turnouts can be operated by track or power buss and switched with your DCC controller. This can make wiring much, much less complicated and expensive"

By using the DCC turnouts does it take up one of the 9 addresses, Although I heard it uses a function channel, and How do youconnect the DCC turnouts to the controller

Correct me if im wrong with DC turnouts, They are powered by the AC accessory ports on the analog controller and have separate switches, and the switches can be wired together so that only one needs to be plugged in.

digitalgriffin

Quote from: Trainz222 on November 26, 2011, 11:48:50 PM

"Do note that DCC turnouts can be operated by track or power buss and switched with your DCC controller. This can make wiring much, much less complicated and expensive"

By using the DCC turnouts does it take up one of the 9 addresses, Although I heard it uses a function channel, and How do youconnect the DCC turnouts to the controller

Correct me if im wrong with DC turnouts, They are powered by the AC accessory ports on the analog controller and have separate switches, and the switches can be wired together so that only one needs to be plugged in.

There are many many types of switches and ways to throw them.  From ordinary manual switches (thrown by hand), panel controlled switches (twin coil, snap, rotor relay, stall motor, and more), to dcc thrown switches (thrown by your throttle cab command).  The last is a combination of DCC accessory decoders and switches.  Some decoders are designed for stall motors (tortoises), and others for snap, or twin coil relays.  So it's important that you match the proper decoder up with the proper switch motor if you wish to throw turnouts from your cab.

Its generally not wise to throw the turnout with DCC power.  The reason being if a train approaches the turnout, and the points (the rails the move) are in the wrong position, it will generate a short, and shut down power to that block.  If that's the case, then you can't throw the switch because the power is off to the block.  So you'll have to manually push the train back beyond the offending rail gap that caused the short.

Most expert modelers use a separate power bus for powering turnouts.

Doneldon

Trainz-

Non-DCC turnouts can be operated with either AC or DC power.

-- D