News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Info

Started by trainmommy, November 28, 2011, 02:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmommy

Hi! Totally a train novice but have a 4 year old son who is absolutely a train fanatic. I would like to get him a real electric train..he has already outgrown thomas and is completely in love with the train models at a children's hospital that we frequent due to some health problems he has. I would like to get him a train that could be installed to go around the top of his room.  I see the Bachmann Thoroughbread Ready to Run HO on sale at Amazon. It has good reviews for a beginner train.  I would like for family to be able to purchase and add to this train. I am really interested in the Pennsylvania Railroad because he was born in Philadelphia because of the Children's hospital there.  Would family be able to add some of the Pennsylvania Railroad cars such as Bachmann Trains Pennsylvania Railroad Merchandise Service 40' Box Car-Ho Scale to make this a more personal gift through the years?  I do not want to be at great expense since he is so young. Would love any information and help you can give me with this train idea. Thank you!

digitalgriffin

I was planning something similar for my son.

You'll get about 80 hours of use out of a train before it needs remotoring.  This number varies based on the quality of the train and how it's used.  New engines can be picked up for as little as $40 if you look around.

You'll need a "captains shelf" with a small lip.  The lip is essential.  If the train derails for ANY reason, the lip is there to keep the train from falling on your kids head!  A clear plastic lip of about 1.75" wide tacked on the end of the shelf board would surfice in most cases.

You can use 1x6 boards with these supporting the board:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202531877&R=202531877

I suggest you use a brace board between brackets.  This is to keep the shelf board from bending under weight.  A common technique is to put a 1x1 underneath the shelf.  The 1x1 screws into the wall studs, and the shelf screws into the top of the 1x1.

Most doors are 6'8".  That gives you a clearance of 1' or so before you hit the ceiling.  You can place a number of small buildings around the exterior over time, and backlight them to give the room a soft glow upwards at night.   A 6" shelf depth can accomodate 1 track + a background building right behind it.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?category=Structure&scale=H&manu=walthers&item=&keywords=background&words=restrict&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

If you want to get really creative, you could make sections of the shelf lower than the others and have the train pass over a bridge.   

trainmommy

Thank  you for this information!! What train would you recommend? Do you think the Thoroughbred Set is a good one to start? Can I add to it easily?

Keusink

My 9 year old boys are train nuts too.

They have Bachmann EZ track (which has the roadbed attached) that can be assembled and disassembled on the floor in minutes. No need to worry about falling long distances to the floor.

When you know the interest is permanent, more maturity and digital dexterity is present, and the finances are easier, then you can move to DCC and an around room investment with some permanency.

A middle ground is to mount the ez track to a sheet of plywood, for stability.

Since I know my kids are hooked, we are building an elaborate and expensive set that they operate under supervision (last locomotive I bought was $499). They still use their portable easy track for their "toy" HO trains. Might want to keep it simple at first, Mom.

Or, find a local model railroad club that will take your child under their collective wing while you figure out how elaborate you want to get. Bet there is one nearby, and many have websites.

Keusink

Doneldon

RR Mum-

I think you'll find that HO is too small to be enjoyed as an around the ceiling display. A larger gauge would be better. If you have a Memards store nearby, check for O-gauge and large scale trains in their toy section. They have good prices and a reasonable selection. You will need more track to complete the display; this can be found at most hobby shops, online or on ebay. You'll find some sets with battery-powered locomotives but I urge you to avoid them. They aren't very durable and it can be difficult to find extra track for these.

Attaching a train high on a wall or to the ceiling is harder than you might imagine, especially because you need quite a wide platform for the curves at the corners. And there is no guaranty that the tracks will fit without cutting and fitting.

A better idea, from my point of view, is a train which your son can actually play with. HO might do for this but larger trains seem to last longer and are easier for small hands to master. Again, Menards, on line and ebay are good resources. Regardless of what you buy, look for track which has attached roadbed as well as the rails and crossties. That will make it much easier for your son to assemble and break down his railroad.
                                                                                                                                                                -- D

digitalgriffin

Quote from: trainmommy on November 28, 2011, 06:19:04 PM
Thank  you for this information!! What train would you recommend? Do you think the Thoroughbred Set is a good one to start? Can I add to it easily?

The thoroughbred set is okay.  With some shopping around, I'm sure you can find it at a very reasonable price.

I always considered Bachmann a good brand for the money.  Other brands to consider are Lifelike by Walthers and trainman by Atlas.  The trainman by atlas move up the scale slightly in quality, but it is also more costly.

Temptation is a mighty strong thing when it comes to "toys" for a 4 year old.  If you insist on letting him play with it, I would get a Lionel tin plate which is designed to be more sturdy in young hands.  You will not be able to put a O scale tin-plate train high above the room mwithout large corners.  The HO train will also have to be close to the shelf edge to see it.  (As others have brought up)

some video's for inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQCDh61GBw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcoTLsWOGbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKqF-ubGZ0&feature=related

trainmommy

With this type of train and his age his playtime would be limited. He enjoys simply watching it go around and around. He has plenty of play trains with Thomas. So what is the best recommendation for an around the ceiling train set with much supervised train time until train track can be built? Bachmann or Lionel? I really want a pennsylvania rr with passenger cars but am also more concerned with ease of use and durability around the track since it will be up so high and children will be playing under it. I appreciate all of this wealth of information.

digitalgriffin

Quote from: trainmommy on November 29, 2011, 10:13:59 AM
With this type of train and his age his playtime would be limited. He enjoys simply watching it go around and around. He has plenty of play trains with Thomas. So what is the best recommendation for an around the ceiling train set with much supervised train time until train track can be built? Bachmann or Lionel? I really want a pennsylvania rr with passenger cars but am also more concerned with ease of use and durability around the track since it will be up so high and children will be playing under it. I appreciate all of this wealth of information.

Pros of Lionel:
Lionel tin-plate is twice as large and easier to see higher up
Lionel tin-plate is more likely to survive little hands if they get a hold of it.

Cons of Lionel:
Your corners (for the turn) will have to be twice as big
Cost much more because it is larger.  You'll have less room for scenery behind the engine because it's twice as wide.

You can decide which scale is better for you O scale (Lionel) or HO (Atlas, Bachmann, Walthers) by looking at the videos @ www.youtbue.com.

General cost (of HO):
You can pick up a PRR Shark engine from Bachmann pretty cheap online <$50.00.  You can add cars behind it for about $10.00 each if you shop around.  Cheap PRR passenger cars are about $30 each (search eBay).  Most require a 24" or larger radius on the curve because they are LONG, and will derail on tigher curves.  Top of the line passenger cars can be $60 each.  Really good passenger cars are made by Walthers, Rapido, and BLI (Boradway Limited).  Super cheap ones are made by IHC/Model Power/Roundhouse.  They will need work to make them "road worthy"

Track comes in 3 foot sections.  It's about $4.50/3 feet.  Atlas code 100 track is a favorite among modelers.  You'll need cork roadbed beneath it.  That's about $1.50/3 feet.

You can use sectional track which has the roadbed built in, but it is more costly per foot.  It is generally easier to assemble, but you still may have to cut a custom length of track to complete your loop.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1937

digitalgriffin

Another train options might be "The doodlebug"

This is sort of a fancy bus that ran on rails to carry people and small freight.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1875

The Maryland & Pennsylvania (Ma & Pa) was a local Railroad that went from Frederick, Baltimore, North to Harrisburg, and east towards Dela PA I believe.

I know it looks pricey, but it comes with good deals online if you shop.  It's also a top of the line Spectrum product.  It is both an engine and passenger car.  And I believe Bachmann's cars will run on tight radius curve still (18" radius).  You'll have to ask Bachmann to be sure.

trainmommy

I had no idea this would be so fascinating and complicated at the same time!! Thanks so much for the information. The links are fabulous and so helpful!! I will research further and likely have more questions..thanks again!!

Keusink

FYI, I had my first HO at age 5, though that is a bit younger than most would recommend.

Also, did you know that there is a Tomas line of HO trains? My boys started w/ battery powered Thomas w/ plastic track, but quickly graduated to HO. One still likes the Thomas version, and the other twin prefers DCC sound steam locomotives
(that, unlike Thomas, cost a lot).

PRR is famous; you will have no trouble adding to that set.

Keusink

trainmommy

About a year ago we were in a train store across from the local train museum and I met a few guys from a modeling club. We are headed back there tomorrow. I want to see which trains he gravitates towards the most and gather more research. He thought he was getting a train like this last year and was so disappointed when he did not. I am anxious to get a train on order to get here in time for Christmas because he still has the same interest. I believe at the ripe old age of four that he is a true train fan. There is something special in this hobby. I see it and he sees it too.

Doneldon

RR Mom-

I probably wouldn't make this suggestion to someone who was planning on taking up model railroading as a hobby but think it should be good for a mom who is loo0king for a set buy for a small child. See what you can find that your son is excited about at your LHS but buy it on line or on ebay. You'll get a much better price in most cases and your purpose won't conflict with a need to develop a relationship at the LHS. I also suggest that whatever you buy is shown on this web site as current merchandise. You can find train sets under "Product Information."
                                                                                                                        -- D

Johnson Bar Jeff

I'm sorry, but I just have to jump in and say how happy it makes me when I read about someone as young as trainmommy's little guy being so excited about trains. Maybe it will become a lifelong hobby for him--or maybe it won't--but I'm not so old that I can't remember that once upon a time I was also a true train fan at the ripe old age of four.  :D