News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Passenger Cars

Started by lucy 1, December 08, 2011, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucy 1

Hi,
Has anyone out there rewired the lighting in these cars, if so how did you do it?
Thanks
Lucy 

Sleeping Bear

Asking about rewiring is a little vague...Could you narrow the topic a little...Change from track to battery power??? convert to LED's??? some previous owner stripped the lighting out and you want to put it back??? A little clarification would help to zero in on just the answer your looking for......Later All......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

lucy 1

I want to go from battery power to track power and do away with
the sliding connections in the cars.
Thank you lucy

Loco Bill Canelos

You can do that , but if you are going to use the tiny transformer that comes with the sets it is NOT recommended! There isn't much reserve in those tiny set transformers especially the older black ones.n   Also with track  power Your lights will go very dim at low speeds and go out when you stop at a station.

There are wheel wiper sets you can buy that will fit right into the holders on the Bachmann trucks. If your cars are the older ones with the plastic wheels you will need to add metals wheels as well.  You will need to disassemble the car and run  "very" thin wires from the upper contacts down the middle where the brass strip goes and run it to the corresponding wires to each axle.

Personally I use some rechargable batteries, as I like it when the lights stay on and stay brighe!!

Good luck with your project!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

lucy 1

Bill,
  Thank you. The power pack I am using is an MRC with the volt & amp meters
so I do not think I will have a dimming problem. I did not give the re chargeable batteries
a thought. Maybe I will go that route.
Lucy 1

on30gn15

Something which has not been specifically pointed out yet is that the drag of wiper contacts on wheels is same effect as having brakes partway on.

It is for that reason that a couple cars here were changed the reverse of what you want to do.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

Lucy1.

Good points on the drag issue!!   Also even with your MRC pack, the lights will not stay evenly bright.  When you start your train the lights will be very dim and then get brighter as you increase the power. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!