News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale gauntlet track :

Started by Jhanecker2, December 03, 2011, 07:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Does anybody manufacture  gaunlet  track ?    Or is this something  that  has to be hand laid ?  John II.

jward

it would need yo be handlaid. the frogs at either end would be the only difficult thing to build.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Years ago I watched a very talented gentleman make a gauntlet track in O-gauge. It was a sight to behold and definitely not for the 'faint of heart'. This would be an interesting piece of track work (albeit expensive) for one of the manufacturers to offer.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: florynow on December 03, 2011, 07:30:55 PM
I always thought a gauntlet track was like at a track scale.  I've seen bridges with gauntlet tracks like in the last link, where two differnet companies shared a bridge, but I didn't not know that "gauntlet" was what that shared arrangement was called.

PF

Very simple way to find answers to many questions.

http://tinyurl.com/77u3x6r

This way you have links you can keep for future reference and to give to others.

Rich

Jim Banner

Gantlet tracks are often used at scales to keep the scales from being damaged by the weight of locomotives.  But there are other uses.  Sometimes, as already pointed out, to let two companies share one bridge.  Other times two blocks of the same railroad may use a gantlet track over a bridge or through a tunnel to simplify dispatching.  The gantlet track can even be two different gauges.  In this case, the defining difference between gantlet track and dual gauge track is that the gantlet track requires no switches.  On a model railroad a gantlet track may be used to save space by offsetting a turnout to where space is available for it.  On my garden railway, I have several feet of gantlet track between the points and the frog of one of the turnouts.  The frog is set into a patio where it gets walked on and occasionally driven on while the points are safely off the patio so that traffic will not throw them out of adjustment.

The term "gauntlet" is frequently and incorrectly substituted for the word "gantlet."  This is not surprising as they are both pronounced the same, at least in English.  But is is easy to remember the difference.  "Running the gantlet" is a punishment where the person receiving the punishment runs between TWO LINES of men who beat on him.  Just remember the TWO LINES as in TWO LINES of track operating together.  A "gauntlet," on the other hand, is a glove, often a studded or chain main one.  As far as I am aware, the only piece of apparel that trains run on are "ties" but never "gloves."  For further discussion of this, check this link:
http://trn.trains.com/en/Railroad%20Reference/Ask%20Trains/2011/02/Gantlet%20vs,-d-,%20gauntlet.aspx

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jhanecker2

Having rechecked "Track Planning for Realistic Operation "  , Third Edition , By John Armstrong .  He did use "ganlet"  for as the term for track and also for the track for scales . I therefore stand / sit corrected. Though I do which I  Had Gauntlets as well, they would Look really great with my swords hanging in the shop . Another thing to buy  when I hit the Lottery .  I guess from the opinions sofar the this would definitely be a do it yourself project .  John  II.

Jim Banner

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on December 04, 2011, 09:51:31 AM

I guess from the opinions sofar the this would definitely be a do it yourself project .  John  II.

Do it yourself, yes.  Impossible, no.  You could even simplify the process by using the frogs out of a couple of old turnouts.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

i agree with jim. the project is doable, but you will have to lay everything by hand. this is not a beginner's project. there is alot of tedious work cutting and filing to make the frogs. better be handy with a soldering iron, as soldering the frogs together is the best way to build one. if you are using dcc you'll probably want to wire the 2 frogs, and the center rails between them, to an autoreverse unit.

the type of gantlet which bypasses a scale is a much simpler project, requiring only a set of points at each end, no frogs, and no special wiring.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA