News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GP7 truck disassembly

Started by alanhy, December 04, 2011, 04:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanhy

I have an older GP7 with a out of gauge wheels. In fact, one wheel actually wobbles. I'd like to disassemble the trucks to evaluate if I need new trucks or can just re-gauge the existing wheels but can't figure out how to do so. How do you disassemble the trucks on this engine?

jward

what make is this gp7? the bachmann ones only came out a couple of years ago.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

alanhy

My mistake. It is UP 124 which should be B23-7/B30-7. I think the truck is assembled the same though. In any case,I'd still like to open up the truck.

jward

it sounds like you may have a cracked axle gear. you can emove the wheelsets without removing the truck from the chassis. the sideframe, shown on the parts drawing as "truck details" snaps onto the truck assembly via a tab on the end of the truck assembly. to remove the sideframes, gently pry the top of the sideframe end next to the fuel tank with a small screwdriver until it clears the tab on the truck assembly. you should be able to lift the sideframe clear. the wheelsets will then lift right out.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

alanhy

Well, it almost worked. The frame cracked at a couple of narrow spots getting the sideframe off. A little plastic cement while it was off seems to have worked.

Quote from: jward on December 05, 2011, 03:45:23 AM
it sounds like you may have a cracked axle gear. you can emove the wheelsets without removing the truck from the chassis. the sideframe, shown on the parts drawing as "truck details" snaps onto the truck assembly via a tab on the end of the truck assembly. to remove the sideframes, gently pry the top of the sideframe end next to the fuel tank with a small screwdriver until it clears the tab on the truck assembly. you should be able to lift the sideframe clear. the wheelsets will then lift right out.

The wobble appeared to be caused be a bent axle. The narrow outer part that has a friction fit with the gear. I was able to carefully bend it back and get rid of the wobble.

Alan