News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tortoise Switch Machine Install.

Started by Limey, December 09, 2011, 05:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

I maybe reinventing the wheel here, but being a little older and stiffer in the joints I was having trouble getting under my train table to install the Tortoise switch machines. So not wanting to take the layout apart to turn the table on their sides I figured there had to be an easier way.Using the paper template supplied with the Tortoise, I made a couple of more sturdy templates from Lexan clear polycarbonate. I drilled a 1/4 " hole for the wire that goes from the Tortoise to the switch throw rod and 1/16th inch holes for the mounting screws My tables, roadbed and subroad bed come to about 1 1/8th. inches thick.With the switch in position on the road bed I marked outside the two ties above and below the throw rod. I then removed the switch and using the roadbed centre line I located the centre point between the tracks where the Tortoise activation wire comes through.  I then drilled a 1/4" hole right through all three layers of table, sub road bed and road bed.Using a 1/4" x 2" bolt thru the template and the three layers I secured it from under the table with a wing nut. ( Finger tight ) I was then able to centre the template over the road bed and drill the mounting holes. I located the mounting screw holes under the table and marked them with a felt marker. I then installed the mounting screws and then removed them again. Doing this makes it easier to mount the Toroise later.Before mounting the Tortoise I use a 6 volt lantern battery and centre the throw wire, doing this also allows you see that the machine is working properly before you install it and also which way round the wires need to be ( + or - ) for proper operation for the main and branch lines.This works for me as my layout is not to thick ( 1 1/8" ) for all three layers. If your lay out is thicker you may have trouble locating a 1/16th. inch drill bit long enough to go right through.I hope this helps some of you, it's certainly a lot easier on my old bones.Regards, Limey.

jward

another thing i've found with tortoise is that the actuation rod supplied with the motor isn't stiff enough. you can substitute .032 or .047 piano wire for this rod and it will throw the points much more reliably.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Limey

Thanks Jeff, thats good to know. Limey