News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modify Auto reversing Trolley

Started by joerr, December 07, 2011, 09:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joerr

I have the auto reversing trolley set up and working. Is it possible to modify it so it makes an additional stop somewhere in the middle of the track as well, pauses and then continues on its way? I'd like it to stop and pause each direction. How can it be done? Thanks.

Jim Banner

Easy way is to add a magnet to the bottom of the trolley and install a reed switch under the rails.  Then connect the reed switch to a time delay relay.  When the magnet passes over the reed switch, the time delay relay will shut off the power for a prescribed length of time.  The trolley will stop at about the same spot in both directions.  I have not yet done this but am thinking about doing it in 0n30.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

joerr

Thanks for the reply Jim. I understand the theory...any suggestions on where can I go to get the specifics on getting the parts and assembling it? I am pretty much a rookie with this stuff.

joerr

Jim, do you think that the magnet-reed switch-time delay relay idea of yours will work with the special track used with the Bachmann auto reversing trolley? My dealer around here wasn't very encouraging

It would be nice if Bachmann developed a piece of track wired to pause for a short time that you could place anywhere in the trolley line.

Jim Banner

The circuit I have in mind will cut off power to the track and would work with the special track sold for auto reversing trolleys and even for having trains make a station stop on a continuous oval track.

I am sorry that I do not have a completed design to post or to send you at this time because I have a house full of guests for the next week or so.  How about emailing me in about a week to remind me.  My email address is listed under my profile which will magically appear if you click on my name above left.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.