News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decals on trains

Started by gandy dancer#1, December 09, 2011, 11:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

HI: i have a collector train set supposedly produced for "CROWN ROYAL" in the 60's. the decals have dried out badly,what do you guys use to preserve these and not damge thedecal or paint? Thanks.
M.R.BURNS

Desertdweller

I take it, the decals have been already applied?

The usual way to preserve applied decals is to overspray them with a clear coat finish.

If the decals are still on the decal sheet, you can try spraying them with a gloss clear enamel.  I've tried this but with little success.  If the decals are cracked on the sheet, they will usually fall apart anyway.

Something that might work would be to put the decal sheet in a copier, and make a color copy onto decal paper.  I think you need a special ink cartridge to do this, as regular color copier ink is water soluble.

Les

gandy dancer#1

HI: guess i didnt make myself clear, the decals are on the train itsef,they have dries out and starting to come loose. want something to guess re-stick and seal but wont do damage.
M.R.BURNS

glennk28

If these are the "wet-film" secals, try some decal solvent like SolvAset or Micro Scale.  Then when they are set and dry, overspray with Dullcote or Glosscote.
gj