Problem to make a Thomas Kinkade train running

Started by sybux, December 12, 2011, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sybux

Hi,

I've just bought on ebay the Xmas edition of thomas Kinkade train.
I've got a package with the locomotive, the steam and 4 lighted car with the transformator.

I'm using marklin HO rail.
My problem is the train is not working. I've test the power on the output on the transofmator. It's between 0 to 15v which is good.
But as soon as I connect one cable to the left rail and the other cable to the right rail, the voltage is between 0 and 1v.
I can also hear a click (maybay a relay) in the transformer.
I'd like to know where I'm wrong.
Thx for you help.

Jhanecker2

Marklin  HO  is an  AC operating system .  Your are shorting out the power supply that clicking is the circuit breaker cycling.   If Kinkade Train is  DC  it will not operate on AC Track.  Nor will it operate if it is  DCC. Get yourself  either  EZ Track which is  Made of both DC & DCC operation.  Any Standard HO track will do , Atlas,Walters, Peco, etc.

sybux

thx a lot Jhanecker2. Last time I used an electric train was so long that I couldn't have imagine that now days there is 2 systems AC/DC to run the train. I've just bought DC rails and now it's working perfectly.

Jhanecker2

Good to hear your problem is solved .  I had the reciprocal Problem , I bought Maerklin  " Potter" passenger cars and had to change the wheelsets to  DC wheelsets & replace the couplers.  By the way  the "O" gauge Lionel was and still is  AC.  that is why the three rail track is still used for that gauge . I believe that Williams by Bachmann also utilizes the same system.  Good Luck  J2.