News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC for older loco's

Started by rj70, December 11, 2011, 06:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rj70

I just inherited my grandfathers old Bachmann trains he used to run during Christmas. Only one is still working. Can I convert it to DCC? the Train is an old Chessie about 25-30 yrs old. I have seen on other boards that you can but the guy at the local train shop said no.

Nigel

It is possible - but it is not practical.

It Bachmann has offered the same model (or similar) locomotive with DCC; you can get a new one, and swap the shells.  That is the least expensive easiest method.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Doneldon

rj-

Any new or old locomotive can be converted to DCC; however, some are quck and easy jobs and others can be bears. No one here can predict what you'll encounter unless you tell us just what locos you are wondering about. We need to know the manufacturer, catalog number if possible, wheel arrangement and current condition. (It's axiomatic that DCC won't turn a balky, rough DC engine into a swan.) The railroad doesn't matter as any real or imagined name can be put on any loco. Whether the locos have open-frame motors or can motors, and whether there appear to be holes (in the tender floors of steamers) for sound would also help us.
       -- D

rj70

ok, thanks I don't have the paperwork for it and I can't find any model or serial numbers on it. Also i'm new to this and don't know what the wheel config would be classified as. All I can tell you is  that it has 2 axles in the front and 2 drive axles in the rear. the only numbers I can find is painted on the side of the chassie 10822

richg

Quote from: rj70 on December 12, 2011, 12:59:01 PM
ok, thanks I don't have the paperwork for it and I can't find any model or serial numbers on it. Also i'm new to this and don't know what the wheel config would be classified as. All I can tell you is  that it has 2 axles in the front and 2 drive axles in the rear. the only numbers I can find is painted on the side of the chassie 10822

This reply tells me that you most probably not want to try any conversion to DCC.
I have quite a lot of experience with model trains and retired as a maintenance machine mechanic and most trains that age I would never try to convert to DCC.
I have a HO MDC 4-4-2 steam loco made in 1952 and the motor need about 2 amps of power. Most decoders are 1 amp max and you don't want to run a decoder at 1 amp for very long.
Very inefficient loco motor I had. I had it converted with  new can motor, plus gears for over $!50.00. Another $100.00 for sound decoder. It is a beautiful all metal loco.
You get the point now.
Yes, a basic non sound decoder can be had for about $20.00 but many conversions are just not practical. Sorry to rain on your parade.
Take a lot of time to read up on DCC. Going from DC, analog age to DCC, digital age, is not always plug and play. The Internet is load with DCC info if you search and just the Bachmann forums have loads of DCC info.
Compare a digital calculator sold many years ago to a PC that you are using right now.
I remember using a slide rule. Many have no idea that we sent men to the moon using slide rules to do rapid calculations.

Look at the below link for starters. There is a lot of info so you can easily see it is not plug and play. Many experts will try to tell you it is easy. It is for those with experience.
Yes, I disconnected two wires from my layout and connected the DCC controller. Put the DCC loco on the track and it worked. I then for some reason decided to read instructions. Do that first.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/intro2dcc.htm

Rich

Jim Banner

For practical reasons, I would say no.
For financial reasons, I would say no.
For sentimental reasons, I would say go for it.  But to paraphrase Doneldon, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

If I had locomotives left to me by my Grandfather, I would want to be able to run them on my layout, even if just for Christmas.  If my layout were DCC only, then I would install a suitable decoder, suitable being one could handle the current and included BEMF control.  But I would not be using it in everyday use and I would not be looking to make a lot (or even any) money out of it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rj70

thanks guys, I wanted to get some opinions first before trying and damaging the loco. The wiring and all I have no problem with. I can solder, connect and do all that stuff. I do want to build a dcc system and wanted to try and incoporate the old loco's into that system but guess i'll try and figure a different way of using them.

jward

one thing that can be done is to build a turntable and roundhouse area, and park those old locomotives on tracks in this area. just make sure those tracks are electrically isolated from the dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rj70

yeah, that's what i'm thinking of doing