News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Short locos stop

Started by czechwizard, December 14, 2011, 02:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

czechwizard

I recently bought Bachmann remote turnouts #6 (44560) and use them without connection on my DCC layout and short locos like GP 35, 40, FT-A, etc. stop right in the middle of the turnout. Why ? Aren't they DCC friendly ? What's the problem ? 

czechwizard

and now I see even larger locos stop, like SD 40-2, I think they or something causes a short, because all the other locos stop and lighted bumpers stop shining. Are the wheels out of gauge or something ? What could be wrong with #6 turnouts ? I don't see any visible issues. How can I fix it ?

on30gn15

Even though I have no experience with DCC switches and cannot address the wiring question I can speak to the wheels and rails out of gauge question.

If you do not have one already, go buy a NMRA standards gauge
  It is made by the National Model Railroad Association and is a small metal plate with tabs and notches around the edges to check wheels and track.
It is also shaped to give clearances needed for going past bridges, poles, buildings and so forth.

Hobby shops should have, or can order one for you.
Expect it would also be possible to get one directly from the NMRA http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp2.html
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

richg

With the NMRA gauge, check the turnouts also.

Rich

jward

are these the ones with the power routing frogs? do the locomotives stop when one of the wheels touch the frog? do they work properly when thrown one direction but not the other direction?

it sounds like the frog is the wrong polarity, and causing a short when the loco wheels hit it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

czechwizard

Quote from: jward on December 15, 2011, 02:02:49 AM
are these the ones with the power routing frogs? do the locomotives stop when one of the wheels touch the frog? do they work properly when thrown one direction but not the other direction?

it sounds like the frog is the wrong polarity, and causing a short when the loco wheels hit it.

I guess so, the product number is Bachmann remote turnouts #6 (44560), yes, they do, exactly, they go one way without a problem, but not the other way. How come the frog is wrong polarity, supposedly it's DCC friendly. I just installed the turnouts without any wiring and cut off the three green wires, in order to install them. So what can I do now using DCC ? Is it a problem that I cut off the green wires ? It's said that the turnouts will operate correctly whether or not wired !

CNE Runner

There is some excellent advice, in this thread, Czechwizard. If you were running very short coupled locomotives such as: GE 45 & 44 Tons, Plymouths, etc...I would strongly suggest you use powered frogs (such as Peco Electrofrog turnouts). I am very surprised that a GP-35 would stall on a conventional (insulated) frog turnout (longer wheelbase).

Good luck in any case,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

czechwizard

Quote from: Hunt on December 15, 2011, 09:18:02 PM
Out of the package a Bachmann #6 turnout is all routes live type and its metal frog is not powered (dead and isolated). Connect the loose end of the black wire to the post in the hole underneath the frog. When the black wire is connected, the frog is powered and the turnout is wired so the frog will have the correct polarity for the line (route) of the turnout. 

Having cut off the green cord, you are now not able to set the line of the turnout using the remote controller (the black side switch) that came with the turnout.  You will have to add a stationary decoder to change the line of the turnout using DCC. For now,  you will have to use the manual slide switch on the side of the turnout to change the line of the turnout or reattach the green cord.

It is possible you have not correctly wired the track passed the frog on the divergent route. Hope you have a good model railroad basic wiring book.

When I power the frog, as you suggested, the turnout works only one way, not the other at all, it shorts.