News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis IR Signal Issues

Started by sabre76, December 14, 2011, 08:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabre76

I am experiencing a signal issue when using the Dynamis pro with a proto2000 HO F7a/b.  when I accelerate, the signal goes dead, then comes on intermittently, then goes to STOP mode.  The system works fine on my N gauge dcc track.  Any ideas on how to get this sorted out?

captain1313

Sabre,
I have the same problem with an Atlas Master Gold SD35 w/QSI decoder.  Works fine without the Pro Box in the system.  But with the Pro Box.........after about a minute or so, if I send another command to it weather it be horn or speed the Dynamis drops the signal completely and the system shuts down after a short period.  I've talked to service several times about this, even sent the pro box to them.  I should have sent the loco with.  The Pro Box checked out fine.  Most of my locos a Bachmann, but I do also have a BLI with QSI decoder but it operates flawlessly.  It Must be something in that particular decoder that is interfering.  Trust me, it's gets very frustrating trying to trouble shooting that kind of problem.  For now I'm using the SD35 to pulling track cleaning car.  Get it going and leave it running without sending another command to it.  Try it with the Pro Box out of the system.

Kevin

sabre76

Kevin,

That's a good tip.  I will try it without the Pro attachment. I will also try my MTH Dreyfus Hudson dcc on it again to eliminate the handset hardware as the problem.  You may want to alert Norm Stenzel of QSi solutions (http://www.amhobby.com/) because he hadn't heard of the problem until I reached out to them on their website yesterday.  His email is norm@amhobby.com and it will be good for him to become aware of others having similar problems with the QSi chip.  My proto2000 was a QSI chipped decoder as well!

captain1313

Sabre,
I'll e-mail him the info I have and see what happens.

Kevin

captain1313

Saber,

Here's the reply I got.

Kevin,

The decoder does not even know that it is being controlled by an IR Throttle. The IR is just between the handheld and the receiver. The receiver then sends a conventional DCC signal to the loco through the track. There is no way that the decoder can have any effect on the IR operation.

Thanks,

Norm Stenzel
Tony's Train Exchange
QSI Solutions
800-978-3472

sabre76

I got the same response.  The classic hardware, software conflict and no one's fault.  Just the customer's problem because neither wants to spend the time and money resolving the conflict.

I agree with him in that it can't be the wireless handset.  It's somewhere between the decoder and the controller. But it's odd that the problem manifests itself when a new input is transmitted to the receiver from the handset.  Must be a bits and bytes conflict between the controller and the Qsi decoder.  I will try the other loco and removing the Pro box and see what that does and report back. 

sabre76

So here's the thing.  I ran both the proto2000 F7A&B with QSi decoder and the MTH locomotives on the track with Dynamis Pro at the same time with no IR signal issues at all.  They ran perfectly and there was no problem with the IR signal. 

Then I ran the proto2000 F7A&B again on Dynamis Pro by themselves and they ran great for a few minutes but I then encountered the IR signal issue again.  Then I separated the A&B units reprogrammed them and both ran separately with no IR signal issue.  I put them in a consist and they didn't run at all.  Took them out of consist and the IR signal problem occurred again intermittently.  Took the Pro box off (converted it back to regular Dynamis) and they seemed to run fine again with no signal loss. 

I think there is something going on with the Pro Box and the QSi decoder. How do we get Dynamis to work with QSi to troubleshoot?

John

NarrowMinded

Have you tried connecting a  meter to the track to see if there are any huge fluctuations in voltage or amp draw while running the locos in question? 

This could maybe affect the IR output on the Base unit and cause the the system to loose signal.  or it could just be the locos are drawing too many amps and throwing the system into stop mode.

Not a cure for the lost signal but have you tried disabling the lost signal default setting? Your loco will run even with the handheld controller shut off, if it still stops this could indicate it is drawing to many amps which would throw it into Stop mode.

Lastly have you set up your A & B unit to run in consist but not connected them to check if they are close to a speed match?  If one is running slower/faster they may fight each other. possibly causing amp spikes, which is causing the system to think it's shorting.

NM-Jeff

captain1313

Jeff

In my case I don't have a dcc meter.  The Atlas SD35 that's causing the problem works perfectly when the Pro Box is out of the equation.  If I disable the time out feature I'm am looking at a train wreck with no control of the loco.
It will run with the Pro Box sometimes (very few).  It's when you send a command to the decoder......you can see the signal strength bars disappear and then just wait for the time out or use the emergency stop.  I also have a BLI 2-8-2 with QSI and it works perfectly with the Pro Box.  I can leave the SD35 idling on a siding with no effect on the other locos.  Even get it running for awhile until I send it another command then the signal usually get dropped.  It's not overloading because I can run several other sound locos at the same time.

Kevin

sabre76

I'm in the same boat as Captain1313, don't have a dcc meter.  I will fiddle with the consist idea.  I'm still uncertain about changing individual cv values.  Nervous about it also.

I think there is something related to the Pro Box as The captin suggests.  That pin connection looks fragile and prone to bending or breakage.  I wonder if that causes unhappy bit and byte transfer....

Jerrys HO

sab-cap-

I agree with narrow. I just took my MTH SD70ACE over to my buddies and ran it with his dynamis pro and it ran flawlessly. I did a test by disconnecting a few of his feeders on one section and yes  the loco had trouble picking up commands and the signal bars dropped when sending the command. Plugged the feeders back and everything was fine.

Hope this helps.

By the way richg posts all the time a meter you can pick up from harbor freight for just 4.99. This is a must to have.
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-90899.html

Jerry