News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Chrome tankcars

Started by rustycoupler, January 26, 2012, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustycoupler

Has anyone seen a chrome tankcar in n scale? If so what manufacturer.

mhampton

Do you have a particular prototype in mind?  I don't think I've ever seen one.

rustycoupler

Iwould like to see a three dome or single dome in chrome for Shell oil or Sunoco.

skipgear

I believe I have seen them in 80's trainsets but why would you want one? They were pure fantasy, just like the Chrome amtubes and loco of the same era.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

rustycoupler

Iguess im just like a little kid i like shiney stuff and things that are different.

Albert in N

Fun is the name of the game.  The only chrome tank car that I ever owned was a Lionel 027 Borden milk tanker.  Yes, it was chrome plated plastic with an Elsie cow decal, but my little girl (now age 37) loved watching it back in the late 1970s and early 80s.  Frankly I liked it too!  Not being a purist, I sometimes run a caboose behind an N scale SD70MAC or other modern locomotive.  The few Lionel items that have not been traded off sit on my train room shelf and still bring a smile, but that tank car is gone and I miss it.  At one time I owned an ancient Lionel O scale Sunoco silver all metal tank car.  Yes, I would buy one if it was offered in N scale.  FYI, the Bachmann Silver Series tank cars are sort of like N scale tinplate (not fully scale) but a lot of fun.  I especially like my Bachmann Panhandle Refining tank car with the red and white colors.  Train shows are a lot of fun since you can find a good variety of old, new, and unusual N scale.  If you like it, why not?

Desertdweller

Well said, Albert!

Actually, I was trying to think of a prototype for these.  I recall seeing some chemical tank cars that were made of polished stainless steel, that would probably look a lot like the chrome cars if they were clean.  Some weathering on the models, maybe some Dullcote to tone down the shine a bit, and they would look more realistic.  I wish I could remember the reporting marks.

Les