News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Train set help

Started by Fizzerman, December 18, 2011, 11:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzerman

I'm looking at getting DCC train set but not real sure which one to get. What are some good ones to look at?

Doneldon

Fizz-

I could be wrong but I think that Bachmann is the only manufacturer of DCC train sets. There are lots of model companies and several DCC makers but I'm pretty sure that only Bachmann sells it all in one box. Unfortunately, the Bachmann sets include only the very entry-level EZ DCC system. This is a low power, elementary system which doesn't even begin to supply the capacity or operational possibilities of DCC. I recommend that you look at the Bachmann Dynamis system or basic systems from other manufacturers and then purchase a separate train set. That will not only yield a better and more full-featured DCC system; it will also give you many more choices of train sets. Bachmann has several with locomotives with DCC already installed so you can be running trains on DCC within a half hour of getting home with your selections.

Welcome to model railroading and this board. I'm sure that you'll find our hobby to be an interesting and rewarding one, and I know that you'll find this board to be an excellent resource as you get into the hobby.
                                                                                                                                          -- D

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

For DCC sets you can go with a Bachmann set with a DCC engine or in the case of the Digital Commander set two  DCC engines or if you want a set with an engine with DCC and Sound you can go with one of MTH's Proto Sound 3 equipped sets with an F3 two freight cars, a caboose and a loop of track and the MTH DCS remote commander. What you go with all depends what YOU want in a train set. Basically, make a list of what it is you want in a DCC equipped set and look at various DCC equipped train sets and see what has what you want and narrow it down from there.

Otherwise, if you just want a Bachmann one and you are just getting started with DCC and don't have a DCC controller, look at a bachmann one that comes with a Bachmann DCC controller. The controller is good for if you just want a small layout and up to nine DCC equipped engines and it will last you long enough to get a different DCC controller later if you want. I haven't had the Dynamis controller so I can't comment on it. Hope this helps.

Jim Banner

I believe that the basic E-Z Command as supplied in Bachmann DCC train sets is an excellent choice for starting out in model railroading.  It allows you to control several trains on the same track at the same time, which is what DCC is all about.  While it does not allow you to program decoders beyond changing their address and defining which end of the locomotive is "front," it can operate locomotives that come with decoders installed and preprogrammed for you.  That includes all DCC ON BOARD locomotives sold by Bachmann and many other companies.

When starting out in model railroading, there are many things to learn.  Learning all the ins and outs of DCC does not need to be one of them.  By the time you want to install and program your own decoders, or feel the need to run many trains at once, then is the time to consider upgrading to a more advanced DCC system.  At that point you can sell or give away your basic system, or better, put it on a back shelf as a spare in case of problems with your new system.

Think about using a computer as an adding machine.  Virtually any computer can add up numbers for you.  But it takes a lot of time and effort to learn to operate a computer.  A simple desk top calculator can also add up numbers  It takes only a few minutes to learn how to use one.  So if all you want to do is add up numbers, which do you really need?  Someday you may want to do more than add numbers, but you can delay learning how to operate a computer until a more convenient time by using a calculator today.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Fizzerman

Thanks for all the info. My parents brought me a train set when i was a kid. Then i brought a HO set about ten years ago and got a N scale six years ago. I started play with my trains again. Check out the website alot has changes in the years. I really like to get DCC train with sound. I seen one on display at a store this past weekend and it was cool.