News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoders

Started by rile42, December 15, 2011, 11:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rile42

Being new to the world of DCC, I sometimes get easily confused.  I am currently considering  a few Bachmann "DCC ready" locomotives.  I am assuming, although that's not good, that the term means it is wired, with a plug, to accept a decoder.  Is that correct?
Secondly, how do I know what decoders are compatable with a given locomotive?
Thanks for any help offered.

jward

you are correct that dcc ready doesn't have a decoder installed. not all dcc ready locomotives have the 8 pin plug for a decoder. some of them you have to hard wire a decoder in place. soma have a light board which can be replaced by a drop in decoder (atlas comes to mind).....if you have a locomotive with an 8 pin nmra plug, then a decoder with this plug is what you need.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tom M.

Generally, the term DCC ready means that the loco comes with either an 8-pin NMRA-style plug or a 9-pin JST connection.  Some locos like Athearn Genesis F7 units have both, which allows you more flexibility on selecting a decoder type.  In some rare instances, DCC ready simply means that the motor is isolated from the loco frame which is a key requirement for successful use on DCC.

Most decoder manufacturers have a decoder selector tool on their web sites.  For example, take a look at the Digitrax, TCS, and SoundTraxx sites.  NCE may have a similar feature, but I haven't been on their site recently.  The TCS site is really good because it also offers photo clinics of how to install their decoders in various locos from various manufactureres.  Also, most decoder manufacturers offer decoders with nearly identical physical characteristics.  For example, the TCS T1 and Digitrax 163 are almost identical in size and shape.  As such, the TCS installation photos can also be used as a guide for installing other brands.

Good luck,

Tom

rile42

Tom, thanks for your help.  I must be missing something though.  I just purchased a Bachmann GP30 with DCC.  I'm guessing the decoder is about the most basic one can get based on the price I paid for the loco.  Knowing that, I have been looking to upgrade the decoder and, per your advice, I checked out a few of the companies you mentioned.  It seems that most of them are very limited in what makes and locos for which you can get a decoder.   For example, when I went to the Digitrax site, they have very few listings for Bachmann products.
What am I missing?

DahliasPoppi

I've purchased a locomotive yesterday evening at a LHS and it is stated it is "DCC on Board" on the box and the enclosed paperwork.

Currently I am running on DC, with future plans to go DCC.  I don't want to run the locomotive without risk of damage to it if it is DCC and I am running with DC power.

The instructions for the locomotive (70 Ton GE) are extremely sparse on information, to be charitable in my assessment.  Therefore, I have no idea the best way to disassemble and adjust the DCC so it is not damaged and/or destroyed.

Please advise so I may do the "right thing" with this locomotive.

Regards & Happy Holidays to All.

Dahlia's Poppi

jonathan

Bachmann Locos have "dual mode" decoders--meaning, you can run your DCC locomotive on your DC layout.  The locomotive will not be harmed.  Play away. 'er, feel free to operate your model.

Regards,

Jonathan

Tom M.

I have never worked on a Bachmann DCC equipped GP30, but from looking at the parts diagram and the photo of the PC board shown in the parts ordering portion of their web site, it appears the DCC decoder is fully integrated into the loco's existing PC board.  I am unaware of any decoder manufacturer offering a replacement board decoder for this loco.  As such, if you wanted to upgrade the decoder you would have to remove the existing board and hardwire in a replacement.  This would also mean that you will need to wire in new LED lighting.

You'd probably be looking at about 2 hours of work to complete the conversion.  I would probably use either an NCE or TCS replacement board decoder designed to fit an Atlas diesel loco.  First, you'd have to remove the existing PC board.  Next you would need to solder two short lengths of wire to the motor leads.  These would get soldered to the motor terminals on the side of the NCE/TCS decoder.  Power leads from the trucks would be soldered to the leads on both ends of the new decoder.  To make sure the decoder is insulated from the frame, I would cover the top of the frame weight with Kapton tape.  I would then use double-sided foam tape to secure the decoder to the Kapton tape/frame.  For LED lighting, you would need to solder the longer/positive lead of each LED to the positive pads on each end of the decoder.  On the negative side, you would need to solder a 1K ohm resistor to the decoder and then attach the negative lead of the LED to use it.  The resistor is required to limit the power to the LED.  Most LEDs use 3.3 volts of power and will go "poof" if they are fed more than this.  The pads at the end of the replacement decoders generally output 12 volts, so the resistor reduces the power to below the 3.3 threshold.  

If this is the first time you have any done anything like this, it can be somewhat intimidating.  Just take your time and double check your work.  Once installed, check the decoder on the programming track prior to placing the loco on the layout.  The DCC programming track uses lower power than the main layout.  As such, if there is an issue with the installation, you will normally find out about it by receiving a programming error message.  If you put it on the layout first, you will find out about the problem as the "magic smoke" is let out of the decoder.

Good luck,

Tom

Quote from: rile42 on December 21, 2011, 12:58:24 AM
Tom, thanks for your help.  I must be missing something though.  I just purchased a Bachmann GP30 with DCC.  I'm guessing the decoder is about the most basic one can get based on the price I paid for the loco.  Knowing that, I have been looking to upgrade the decoder and, per your advice, I checked out a few of the companies you mentioned.  It seems that most of them are very limited in what makes and locos for which you can get a decoder.   For example, when I went to the Digitrax site, they have very few listings for Bachmann products.
What am I missing?

jward

Quote from: rile42 on December 21, 2011, 12:58:24 AM
Tom, thanks for your help.  I must be missing something though.  I just purchased a Bachmann GP30 with DCC.  I'm guessing the decoder is about the most basic one can get based on the price I paid for the loco.  Knowing that, I have been looking to upgrade the decoder and, per your advice, I checked out a few of the companies you mentioned.  It seems that most of them are very limited in what makes and locos for which you can get a decoder.   For example, when I went to the Digitrax site, they have very few listings for Bachmann products.
What am I missing?

what you are missing is that you can hardwire just about any decoder with wire leads into just about any locomotive. for example, i have used digitrax dh163 and dz125 decoders hardwired into bachmann locomotives with a split frame like the gp30. the link below shows how jim banner added dcc to a h16-44, i have done similar conversions on gp40, gp35 and sd45. all were dc versions, but replacing a decoder in a gp30 would be similar.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

The below NCE decoder is designed for some of the Bachmann diesels.
Everyone reading this message, store the link in Favorites to give to others.
The manual for the decoder is in the link. You can download it to your PC.

http://www.ncedcc.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13

Rich

Tom M.

Rich,

Thanks for the NCE info.  I hadn't been out to their web site for quite some time.  This decoder really simplifies the conversion process.

Tom

Quote from: richg on December 22, 2011, 08:36:05 AM
The below NCE decoder is designed for some of the Bachmann diesels.
Everyone reading this message, store the link in Favorites to give to others.
The manual for the decoder is in the link. You can download it to your PC.

http://www.ncedcc.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=51&category_id=13

Rich

rile42

Thanks to everyone that has helped.  My Digitrax Zephyr arrived yesterday and my locomotive arrived today. Let the games begin.....slowly and carefully I should add.

richg

Quote from: rile42 on December 22, 2011, 10:38:29 AM
Thanks to everyone that has helped.  My Digitrax Zephyr arrived yesterday and my locomotive arrived today. Let the games begin.....slowly and carefully I should add.

Right now I do believe you are just going to go with what is in the loco. It should start running on address #3.

Rich