basic didgital e-z commander set

Started by gandy dancer#1, December 23, 2011, 01:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

HI and merry christamas to all:
I bought a bachman digital e-z commander set with 2 locos.Box claims can program each loco independandtly, speed, direction ect. My question is: Can this power pack controller support 2 seperate tracks at same time?? Thanks for any assistance.
M.R.BURNS

richg

Yes.
Go look at the in the Parts and Service page for the documents.

Rich

mf5117

Hey Merry Christmas and yes it can . If you have 2 separate loops you will need another terminal railer and a red 2 wire extention cord that Bachmann sells . This is the easiest way to do this . Where your red 2 wire cable hooks into the terminal railer there should be 2 prongs on the other side of it . take the other red 2 wire extention cord to the other railer of the other track loop . . Make sure there is no other Locomotives on the rails . Then power up and if the power light starts blinking showing a short . Power down then unplug the plug on the inner track and turn over and plug back in to the railer . 

If you join your loop with a crossover of somesort #4  #5 , #6,  Standard turnouts you will not have to do any special wiring . Just do not make a reverse loop this will cause a short .

hope this helps   

gandy dancer#1

Thanks: I was trying tofigure out how icould use the one controler and run 2 seperate tracks with the 2 new locos. I have another set loco is not dcc equiped bought at the same time, which i will run on its own seperate tracks. Gives me errr ;D grandson 3 trains runnig atone time
M.R.BURNS

mf5117

ummmm the dc loco will have to run on address 10 and I wouldn't run it for long periods of time as the motor will heat up and could possibly smoke the motor . so take caution when running dc locomotives on a dcc layout .glad you gave a little more info .

gandy dancer#1

My plans are i think, run 2 seperate tracks off the one dcc controler. My rhird set will be dc only on its seperate controller seperate from the other 2 tracks. essntisly 3 loops 2 on one dcc controller, and one on a dc controller none inter connected does that make sense?? I think i may have confused myself ;D ???
M.R.BURNS

jward

i believe most dcc systems can toggle back and forth between several locomotives. you can set up one locomotive to run, then when you have its speed set where you want it you can switch to another while the first one still runs.

that said, if you are trying to run seperate tracks for every train i think you will get bored after a while. you might want to consider adding crossovers to allow your trains to move from track to track. if not now, when you are learning how things work, then at a later date when you are comfortable with running your trains.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

I started with this set also. My layout is now 12x14 shaped in a U. The controller that came with this set handles my two main lines with numerous 15 switches controlling sidings and a yard.(lot's of feeder wires to keep the voltage all around)
Hopefully Santa got my request for my upgrade to the Dynamis controller. ::)
So to answer your question YES it is capable.

Jerry

gandy dancer#1

HI ALL: My set up is L shaped, mounted on 2 pieces of 5/8 inch mdf well supported. I have 2 dcc locos, and enough track to make 2 complete loops for that set. I was trying to figure out how the one controller could supply power to the 2 seperate trcks and still be able to program the locos to run independantly. i dont know what cables i will need to come out of the controlbox to go to the seperate sets of tracks?? does bachman make a "Y" or split cable to go to the rerailers?? Or do i have to splice and make my own "Y"?? The dc rig will be run separately on its own track on one end of the L. My main concern was, does the e-z controler supply enogh power to run 2 seperate tracks?? Or do I need a "power booster" somewhere?? I am just getting started into this so call me a really "DUMB NEWBIE" I have recently become medically disabled(retired) as the3 yr old grandson says (retarded) ;D So need something to keep me and him off the streets and outof trouble with grand maw :D
M.R.BURNS

Jerrys HO

gd-

If they are going to be separate from each other you will need a power source to each track. That would require either 2 powered rerailer sections or you could use one powered rerailer and use powered rail joiners on the other. I won't get into soldering power leads to the track yet for you as being new it is easier to just use rerailers or powered rail joiners.
Yes you will have to cut the wire going to your track to make a Y connection or if using the two powered rerailers use a jumper cable between the two.

9''straight powered rerailer PN#44510 or 18''radius powered rerailer PN#44502.
Both come with the connection wire and can be wired to the wire coming from your controller to the track.

You can use splice connectors for this but I fing soldering is better.

There is no such thing as a dumb newbie just an inquisitive one which is ok.

Welcome Aboard hope you enjoy the ride.

Jerry