controller capable of running multiple tracks

Started by gandy dancer#1, December 24, 2011, 12:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gandy dancer#1

This is for the bachman man or any body!! Why hasnt someone designed or built a controller box that can run multiple tracks ?? electronic components i think would be cheap. you know take the e-z command and be able to program and control 4 tracks out of one box.
M.R.BURNS

Doneldon

gd#1-

Well, the point of DCC is that you don't program tracks; you control the
trains themselves. And you can operate multiple trains at different speeds
in different directions simultaneously on several tracks.                       
                                                                                  -- D

ChrisS

If you're just looking to run dc, Mrc has a tech power
Pack that has two separate circuits which means you can run two
Separate tracks.  Or dcc and control anything you want

gandy dancer#1

That was what i was wondering, In essence my concept is one controller supplying power to 2 or possibly more tracks, then using dcc programming and operating several locos independently. I have an electronics background and understand the concept of using digital to control the locos. Looking at the controler/power pack, it doesnt seem tobe able to supply much power output?? That was my main concern.
Many thanks to all responding to a NEWBIE!!!!
M.R.BURNS

ChrisS

Dcc systems can supply plenty of power. My booster is 5 amps. There are 10 amp boosters available and you can daisy chain as many as you need together.

Doneldon

ChrisS-

Some entry-level DCC systems are pretty anemic; the EZ Command puts out only one amp.

gd#1-

You CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES connect a DC power pack to your rails to run locomotives and then connect a DCC system to give you independent control of your locos. You will destroy everything. If you want to control more than one loco at a time you either need a power pack for each operating locomotive and block wiring for DC control or a DCC system with enough power to satisfy your motive power requirements. But NEVER connect DC and DCC to the same track (or more than one power pack or DCC system, for that matter).
                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

ChrisS

I stated dcc systems can supply .....etc. nowhere did I say all. My powercab suPplied 1.7(which ran 4 On30 locos) before I upgraded to a 5 amp booster

Jim Banner

I set up one fellow's railroads as follows: one command station with built in 8 amp booster to run his indoor H0 layout and a second external booster to run his two indoor G-scale layouts plus his outdoor G-scale layout.  That is four separate layouts, and he can run all of them at the same time, or more correctly, he can run them all at the same time with some helpers to watch the trains.  One 8 amp booster can run it all in a pinch but limits the G-scale to 14 volts on the rails.  With two boosters, he can run the G-scale layouts at the more typical 20-22 volts while still keeping the H0 layout at a safe 14 volts.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.