News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to replace observation car light?

Started by philkeys, December 23, 2011, 01:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philkeys

I just bought a New-in-the-Box White Pass & Yukon G scale observation car, Item 97319.  It has two lights in the cabin ceiling and a lighted drum head lit with a 9v battery in the undercarriage.

One is the ceiling lights doesn't work.  I disassembled the car and got the ceiling loose from the body except for the wiring.  The ceiling lights are encased in pink plastic which is also the clerestory windows.  I can't get the plastic loose to get at the little light bulb.

Anybody have any ideas how to replace the light bulb?

BillBrakeman

The pink plastic strips that hold the ceiling lights are not part of the window strips.  The light strips are held up by the two/ three cross braces which you can pull out, releasing the lights. It should not be a problem.

Bill

Sleeping Bear

Like Bill said, the cross braces need to come out and the window strips will come out, not that they really need to. Be careful with the cross braces, they tend to stick. I use a flat head screwdriver and a little finesse to help loosen them.   Hope this helps........Later All......S.B.
"If at first you don't succeed....Get a bigger hammer"

Jon D. Miller

Try a short piece of rubber tubing.  You want a piece that will fit over the end of the bulb.  Place the rubber tube over the bulb, push down slightly so the tube grips the bulb and you should be able to remove the bulb.  Also, in many cases the bulb it not burned out; it's just loose in the socket.

If this doesn't work then follow the advice already posted to remove the bulbs.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

philkeys

I finally got the second ceiling light working after taking the ceiling all apart.  It's a fiddly and frustrating job to get all the pink pieces out and back in.  The light bulb and socket are held in place by thick pink pieces that push on over cross braces.  The bulb and socket are loose in the cross brace and held down by the wires underneath the brace.  All the cross pieces have to be removed and the clerestory windows removed before the cross braces holding the light bulbs can be lifted up.  I had to do that to be able to hold the socket to tighten the bulbs.  Tightening the bulb was all it took, just a loose connection.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I needed some encouragement.